Ocre Adler Locomotive with Coaches, by Signet

Not a ship, but from a manufacturer of ship models, so I trust it's okay to post:

I originally bought the Adler Locomotive with Tender (54001), the set of 3 matching Coaches (56001 - one each for 1st, 2nd and 3rd class) and the Large Locomotives Stand (55103), all by Occre. I got these in May of last year, directly from Occre in Spain, finishing them up before Christmas, when I received my USS Bonhomme Richard cross section model.

I liked the build pretty well. Not happy with the paint finish, having been done by brush using craft paints, for the most part. I only took a couple pictures during the build, to show the detail inside the two enclosed carriages:

The Second Class Coach: The First Class Coach:
1665713224039.png 1665713257860.png

I used some material my wife had for the first class curtains, and folded paper for the blinds of the second class coach. Both look bad in the above view, but I like to think they look better from the outside. The kit included metal castings for the blinds, but they didn't fit that well, and I really didn't care for the looks of them. I might have changed my mind if I knew how they would end up, but that's just the way it went.

I knew right after receiving the Locomotives Stand that I wouldn't use much of it. The ties were fair, the outer frame was pieced together and poor wood, but the rails was nice and the 30 rail anchors looked good. I decided to make the stand more abstract, without the stone ballast included with the kit, so made a walnut base for the train to go on, and cut new cherry wood ties. I felt the 17 ties included with the kit were not enough, with too large a spacing, so decided upon 4 ties for each of the 7 rail sections, giving me 28 ties. Of course, there was not enough rail anchors, so I recently bought 30 more from Occre (quite reasonably priced at $0.20 each plus $10 shipping from Spain. After receiving these, I made up the track section shown below for mounting the train model on:
1665713614207.png

Completed, attached and on the rails the train came out like this:
1665713666025.png
1665713680131.png1665713704271.png
1665713726852.png

I like the more modern look of a stylized base, without ballast, but with reasonably accurate rails, plates and ties. It provides support and a background for the model, without being a model in itself, keeping attention on the train model itself. Not my best work, but a pleasing model and decoration, I think.

As models like this don't dust well and survive, I placed the completed assembly on a shelf of my den hutch, and covered with with plexiglass:
1665713785059.png

Last edited:
Just took my railroad down ,have many structures,bridges,lights,animatronic stuff for sale , HO scale . Do scratchbuilding of all scales, in OHIO .....

I never built a layout. I designed several, but knew I'd never finish them. Settled on building HO kits and scratch building, also built sections of track in HO/HOn3 dual gauge, double crossover, double slip switch, code 70 and 55 rail. Sold most of it on eBay a couple years ago, including my brass PFM HOn3 Mason Bogie to finance my ship modeling.

I kept a scratch built HO Scale steam-powered crane (overall length including boom about 10" or 72 scale feet) I designed and built based on 18xx Car Builders Cyclopedias, built entirely of wood and brass, except for trucks and couplers. Hauled it out to take some pics of it:
1665862908954.png
The side braces fold up and screw down, all gearing made from brass slot car gears turned chucked in a drill, brass structure soldered together, folding stack to clear bridges and tunnels. All components work: hosts move up and down independently through cables and gearing, turned with a jewelers screwdriver in the end of one of the shafts, chain driven turning of the crane.1665863114059.png
View above without the removable roof. Model has had damage over the last 50 years or so (loose side panel, missing roof brace).
1665863395503.png
1665863198511.png
Stack shown in down position above.
1665863475968.png
1665863506458.png
I really liked the idea of the 3 trucks to take the heavy loads, with middle one sliding side-to-side for curves.

Had a lot of fun with these, back in the old days. When you could buy and use the best modeling paints ever made: Floquil. Still have a couple bottles, actually.

Back