Oh no! Another method to make ringbolts?

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Ringbolts are a very common part of the ship, they are used by means to secure and interconnect various ropes. They could just have an eye or complete with a ring together. We need them a lot! One way to buy those is on Amazon or other online stores. But making them from scratch could be really fun, and could be an 'in-between' task. Many of us already posted our own methods of making the ringbolts. Recently, I have already discussed one of my methods.

Today, I will post yet another method, designed by our member Sergey (@bibigon) a long time back. It is simple enough and with a little practice, you can archive great results. This method is great when you need small ring bolts with an eye diameter of 0.6mm or less.

What tools will we need for this method? We need flat pliers and cutters (nippers). We also will need to make a small jig. Let's start with making a jig first. Find a piece of steel block, and drill the hole. The hole size should be a drill bit size of the inside diameter of your ringbolts. For my exercise, I drilled a hole using a 0.59mm drill bit. Then using the hammer and piece of broken drill bit 0.6mm I created a pin (see image below). Later, we will form the ring around this pin. Another hole, near the pin, was drilled to hold the wire.

600_2843.jpg 600_2844.jpg

The jig is ready, let's start the process. I am using Hillman's Dark annealed steel wire 24 gauge (0.54mm). You can use brass or copper wire as well. The following images will show the step-by-step process.

Cut about 100mm long wire and insert one end into the hole. Just enough so it will hold the wire.

IMG_2240.jpeg

Holding another end of the wire plyers wrap the wire around the pin (counter clock)

IMG_2241.jpeg
IMG_2242.jpeg

Holding the loop with pliers, form the ring. This time I will use Sergey's images.

1638849878647.png

When you remove the formed wire from the jig, it should look the same as in the below image

IMG_2244.jpeg
1638849815826.png

The next step, to cut the excess wire from the loop. Here you need to pay attention, and practice to cut only close to the loop's 'end'. Also, make sure to use the opposite side of a cutter facing the inside of a loop. This will make a cut flat.

1638850224841.png

600_2853.jpg

Here is how the ring looks after you cut the forming part

1638850524811.png

Now form the loop

1638850570881.png 1638850621031.png

And you have a complete ringbolt

600_2858.jpg 600_2860.jpg

Making the rings we discussed many times. My favorite way is to wind the wire around the drill bit of suitable diameter and cut using the thin saw blade.

600_2864.jpg

Here is a complete product

600_2863.jpg600_2865.jpg

600_2867 (2).jpg

So... you may be asking: "Jim, how the heck you made those rim bolts black?" There is a very famous old trick that naturally protects the steel from rust. Heat it to a red\orange color and instantly dip it in the mix of oil and wax. That simple!
I made a short video to depict the entire process of making ring bolts (except the blackening part), hope you like it!

Thank you!!! :)

Ringbolts are a very common part of the ship, they are used by means to secure and interconnect various ropes. They could just have an eye or complete with a ring together. We need them a lot! One way to buy those is on Amazon or other online stores. But making them from scratch could be really fun, and could be an 'in-between' task. Many of us already posted our own methods of making the ringbolts. Recently, I have already discussed one of my methods.

Today, I will post yet another method, designed by our member Sergey (@bibigon) a long time back. It is simple enough and with a little practice, you can archive great results. This method is great when you need small ring bolts with an eye diameter of 0.6mm or less.

What tools will we need for this method? We need flat pliers and cutters (nippers). We also will need to make a small jig. Let's start with making a jig first. Find a piece of steel block, and drill the hole. The hole size should be a drill bit size of the inside diameter of your ringbolts. For my exercise, I drilled a hole using a 0.59mm drill bit. Then using the hammer and piece of broken drill bit 0.6mm I created a pin (see image below). Later, we will form the ring around this pin. Another hole, near the pin, was drilled to hold the wire.

View attachment 273955 View attachment 273956

The jig is ready, let's start the process. I am using Hillman's Dark annealed steel wire 24 gauge (0.54mm). You can use brass or copper wire as well. The following images will show the step-by-step process.

Cut about 100mm long wire and insert one end into the hole. Just enough so it will hold the wire.

View attachment 273957

Holding another end of the wire plyers wrap the wire around the pin (counter clock)

View attachment 273958
View attachment 273959

Holding the loop with pliers, form the ring. This time I will use Sergey's images.

View attachment 273961

When you remove the formed wire from the jig, it should look the same as in the below image

View attachment 273970
View attachment 273960

The next step, to cut the excess wire from the loop. Here you need to pay attention, and practice to cut only close to the loop's 'end'. Also, make sure to use the opposite side of a cutter facing the inside of a loop. This will make a cut flat.

View attachment 273962

View attachment 273963

Here is how the ring looks after you cut the forming part

View attachment 273965

Now form the loop

View attachment 273966 View attachment 273967

And you have a complete ringbolt

View attachment 273968 View attachment 273969

Making the rings we discussed many times. My favorite way is to wind the wire around the drill bit of suitable diameter and cut using the thin saw blade.

View attachment 273971

Here is a complete product

View attachment 273972View attachment 273973

View attachment 273974

So... you may be asking: "Jim, how the heck you made those rim bolts black?" There is a very famous old trick that naturally protects the steel from rust. Heat it to a red\orange color and instantly dip it in the mix of oil and wax. That simple!
I made a short video to depict the entire process of making ring bolts (except the blackening part), hope you like it!

Thank you!!! :)
Jim, thanks for sharing. This is another example of how we can take many different approaches to the same end objective. Only since my own retirement have I discovered, I LOVE TO LEARN!!!

I love the symmetry of your rings, great quality. Also, I really like making a jig, that can be used to make the same components for other projects of the same scale. Some call me "lazy", some call me "efficient", lol.

Super tutorial!

Thanks Jim!

Cheers,
Ken

Last edited:
I love the symmetry of your rings, great quality. Also, I really like making a jig, that can be used to make the same components for other projects of the same scale. Some call me "lazy", some call me "efficient", lol.
My teacher and mentor always said: "If your work requires constant repetition in the workflow - make the jig!!" He was quite a wise guy, he was my father...I miss him very much!

Back