Old ship plans no longer needed.

I see the horrendous price of wood to model plans.

Is there a way we could pay a small fee and either

1. Digitally down load them?
Or
2. Pay for actual used plans?

I’m really interested in HMS Diana and her class.

I’m sure others have their choices.

Instead of gathering dust or thrown away … can we create or pool and access these ….

I went to a printer and Harold UnderHill 18 gun brig cost me 50£ for 1 set of not so good copy.
Wood and …. I calculate near towards 1000£.

I not have forest near me and junk shops are throwing away old furniture… criminal.

Can anyone help or know?

Ps
I have spoken to a lot of people who want to build but the price is too prohibitive.
I read 1000$ + for a kit … I’m trying to help my family survive these insane times US to UK to nearly 80% of countries.
Yes … miniatures I tried but very fiddly for me.

perhaps offering old plans for swap or give away? i think you can post it in the classifieds here. im always looking for plans i can use to scratch build from. most people would be greatful to pay shipping costs.

There are a bunch of sources for free plans on the web- a couple of good ones from Turkey, the US Historic American Engineering Record, some with plans from Soviet era modelling magazines. Check the "for sale" section here and on ebay- they turn up!

I see the horrendous price of wood to model plans.

Is there a way we could pay a small fee and either

1. Digitally down load them?
Or
2. Pay for actual used plans?

I’m sure others have their choices.

Instead of gathering dust or thrown away … can we create or pool and access these ….

I went to a printer and Harold UnderHill 18 gun brig cost me 50£ for 1 set of not so good copy.
Wood and …. I calculate near towards 1000£.

I not have forest near me and junk shops are throwing away old furniture… criminal.

Can anyone help or know?

Ps
I have spoken to a lot of people who want to build but the price is too prohibitive.
I read 1000$ + for a kit … I’m trying to help my family survive these insane times US to UK to nearly 80% of countries.
Yes … miniatures I tried but very fiddly for me.
Have you looked at Cornwall Model Boats for plans? Amati ones are fairly reasonable.
I have often thought of offering old plans, but on occasion I've found them useful for reference.

Hermies
There is a set of seven high resolution drawings of the Artois class ships which includes the Diana 1794 on the Wiki Commons site. Go to pages 4 and 5 at

These are the RMG drawings which you can also get on the RMG site in low res but high res is obviously better. There is also a low res planking expansion drawing (ZAZ2383) on the RMG Collections site that is not on the Wiki site. https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-82134

There is also a mast drawing https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-82141

As some or all of the class were built in private yards a contract was made for the class and can be found on the RMG Collections site with 14 pages of dimensional information. There are a few pages missing from the website. https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-459306 Several page samples are below. For a more complete contract to see what is missing, there is a 22 page contract for the Aquilon (32). The dimensions will be slightly off compared to that of a 38. https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-388019

Total cost for all of the above: 0

There is additional dimensional information for all rates of British ships, including 38 gun ships in the Shipbuilder's Repository and Steel's The Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture, both of which can be found in Scantlings of Royal Navy Ships at Seawatch Books for US$45.

The Wiki site has about 3000 plans, mostly low res, but I have downloaded the 800 or so high resolution drawings from their site and categorized them by number of guns plus ships' boats, masts and spars, et al for future reference.
Hope this helps you.
Allan

Page 1.jpg

Page 2.jpgPage 3.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot about used copies of the AoS series on Diana by David White but I just looked- my goodness, used copies start at about $60 plus freight and go up from there. Still it would be a useful side piece during a build for having much of the detail work in one source, including boat drawings.
Allan

Hi David,
Marshall (and me too) is looking for plans of the Artois (38) 1794 class ships. I went on the site you posted but can't find any drawings of Diana or any Artois class ships. Can you give more information as to where these are on the site you posted. They all look like steel ships from what I could see. What is great is that if anyone wants a huge choice of plans for a steel hulled ship, the site you posted is fantastic!!
Allan

Back