Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Greg, I thank you very much for your visit, also for your very kind words and nice comments. Yes the rat lines a bit of a drag, over and over again. But in another day or so we will have all the lower ones tied.
Regards Lawrence
Your rat lines are very consistent. Do you have a particular technique for tying them? I would be very interested in some details around your rat line tying. Would you take a few pics as you tie a rat line? Thumbsup

Hello Chris, Thanks for your visit to my build log and also for your very kind comments. I use two planks the width of the space between the rat lines. I then hold these planks together and then drill a couple of holes a little wider then my widest set of shrouds glue in a couple of small nails. Relive the outer plank by a few though and then I use two alligator clips to hold these planks in place. Line up the lower end of the shrouds just above the deadeyes and use the upper side as a guide for your rat lines. Moving these planks to the top of the just completed rat line, clamp in place and continue on to the top of the shrouds, hope this helps.
Regards Lawrence

PS - The bottom two rows of rat lines in this picture have been replaced , but the picture shows how I do it.
IMG_5814.JPG

Hello Chris, Thanks for your visit to my build log and also for your very kind comments. I use two planks the width of the space between the rat lines. I then hold these planks together and then drill a couple of holes a little wider then my widest set of shrouds glue in a couple of small nails. Relive the outer plank by a few though and then I use two alligator clips to hold these planks in place. Line up the lower end of the shrouds just above the deadeyes and use the upper side as a guide for your rat lines. Moving these planks to the top of the just completed rat line, clamp in place and continue on to the top of the shrouds, hope this helps.
Regards Lawrence

PS - The bottom two rows of rat lines in this picture have been replaced , but the picture shows how I do it.
View attachment 197411
I like that jig, I think I’ll try that version. Do you tie from left to right or right to left? What tweezers do you use during tying? Sorry to bug you but I’m not happy with my own rat lines and am looking to improve my skills. Yours are very well done. Are these all clove hitches? It looks like they are.

Regards Lawrence

View attachment 197411
That's a brilliant idea Lawrence, I'll be using this in the future, in the past, I always use a piece of paper with line. This is so much more accurate and quicker.
A big thumbs up mate.
Happymodeling
Greg

Hi Chris, I thank you for your very nice comments. Yes I find this very simple jig very handy and that is for sure. I like to start on the left side and use only clove hitches. I have been told that I should try different knots, but I kind of like these.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Janos, Yes I have thought of that, I know that is how you did your Oliver Cromwell. I could not get the lines to line up for some unknown reason, guess That just like an old Dog I am a bit to old to learn new tricks. But will give it another try. I just like to be able to tighten those knots up up and cut them close to the Shrouds. Makes me kind of nerves' cutting on the inside. All though you did a great job on yours.
Regards Lawrence

Hoping someone can take some pics while actually tying the knots. I find I’m all tweezers and thumbs and don’t seem to get the knots looking right, or tight, or in the exact right place. Seem to have too much or too little rope...blah blah whine whine o_O

Hello Chris., Here is a picture of a clove knot. I start on the left hand side, making my knot. Leaving an 1" or so past your knot. With your twisters snug the knot up while holding the end with one hand. Push the loops together with your tweezers, now pull the knot tight with the other side, with a downward pull. Check aliment. then pass your line over the outside of your next shroud, go around it passing your line to the under side of the shroud and snug this half of your clove hitch, leaving a little sag in your line. Now tie the other have of your knot and align with your tweezers. Snug up with a down ward pull, move to your next shroud.
Regards Lawrence
PS Make your self a jig such as I have in my post # 943

Sorry for the mix up, hope this helps.
th.jpegclove knoot.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Chris., Here is a picture of a clove knot. I start on the left hand side, making my knot. Leaving an 1" or so past your knot. With your twisters snug the knot up while holding the end with one hand. Push the loops together with your tweezers, now pull the knot tight with the other side, with a downward pull. Check aliment. then pass your line over the outside of your next shroud, go around it passing your line to the under side of the shroud and snug this half of your clove hitch, leaving a little sag in your line. Now tie the other have of your knot and align with your tweezers. Snug up with a down ward pull, move to your next shroud.
Regards Lawrence
PS Make your self a jig such as I have in my post # 943
View attachment 197507
In your pic is the rope at the top on the left side or the right side of the shroud line or is it the bottom line ?

Very interesting to see how the knots are tied. I am dreading this.

Don't be scare, get yourself an inexpensive book. It will teach you how to tight the various knots and where do they commonly used.

Nice looking rigging there Lawrence. :)

Hello Brian, I thank you very much for your very kind words. These Rat Lines seam to go on forever. Still have the port side forward mast to go. There seams to be so many other things involved these days that take me away from my Old Ship Yard.
Regards Lawrence

I can see how this would be a much neater finish on the outside shrouds.
Hello Chris, I totally agree with you and Janos. For some crazy unknown reason I can not get them to work for me and look good at the same time. I know Janos did a wonderful job on tying the Rat Lines on his Oliver Cromwell but this is one of those things that I have not mastered as yet, but I am still trying, Will give it another go on the upper Rat Lines.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Heinrich, These Rat Lines are not to be dreaded, there are so many ways to tie these knots, my trouble is getting them to blend in and look good at the same time. Janos got it down pat, I am still learning, and still need to practice just a bit more.
Regards Lawrence

Don't be scare, get yourself an inexpensive book. It will teach you how to tight the various knots and where do they commonly used.

Hello Jim, This may be the easy out for me also, but my Old Ship Yard is stuffed to the limit now and another book how ever helpful it may be is in danger of exploding, literally that is, I thank you for your help.
Regards Lawrence

Back