Opinions Needed on Furled Sails Please

Thanks YT, I just found that about a half hour ago. I discovered that the way to find this kind of stuff is to do a Google "image" search and work from there.

PS, It turns out that most of the links of that PDF are dead. There is a few gems of info that may help me but I'm still not out of the woods yet.

Last edited:
I'm trying different things for furled sails. Does this look passable? This is just a mock-up so you have to imagine proper gaskets and seam lines etc.
Be honest, Thanks :)

View attachment 435133
I like it. It's especially good for a first furled sail. It's not an unrealistically HUGE pile of cloth larger than the diameter of the main mast, and is sized properly. Well done! From what I have read, a good rule of thump is to resize a sail by making it 1/3 as high as the full sail if it to be furled so it doesn't appear overly large when bound to the yard.

I'm sure you can make a better furled sail. Such a sail should be thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. Here's how Mondfeld shows such sails using the example of the 1867 model of the French armored corvette La Jeanne d'Arc:

Screenshot_2024-03-16-18-15-46-275_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Thanks Dave I've noticed that and have been trying to make them a little thicker in the center. I'll post a pic later today. My ship, the Discovery 1879, wouldn't have had a jackstay so I believe the furled sail would hang below the yard. Can you confirm that?

Thanks Dave I've noticed that and have been trying to make them a little thicker in the center. I'll post a pic later today. My ship, the Discovery 1879, wouldn't have had a jackstay so I believe the furled sail would hang below the yard. Can you confirm that?
Yes, I think you're right.

I'm trying different things for furled sails. Does this look passable? This is just a mock-up so you have to imagine proper gaskets and seam lines etc.
Be honest, Thanks :)

View attachment 435133
Always nice to see furled sails on a model, Don. I think it would look better if you secured the sail with vertical lines instead of one 'swinging line' in one piece from one side to the other.
Regards, Peter

Does this look a bit better? I'll try to get a clearer picture. This is also just a test so the gaskets are uneven. I'm still thinking about how to get the robands in. The bundled up sail is just held on with the gaskets. And there is still the clews. I guess somewhere on the yard there has to be that clump of blocks.

DSC04833.JPG

Last edited:
I did three sails (still practices) and I think I'm starting to warm up to this. Still a ways to go. All temp attached. These sails for those that don't already know are made from Kleenex. I cut the tissue into a trapezoid, lay it on a flat surface, spray it well with watered down PVA then push the bottom up to the top with a spatula to wrinkle it up. Then let it dry, moving it around every few minutes to stop it from sticking. This time of year my garage runs around 25% RH so with a fan on it the sail dries in about a half hour. If a Kleenex isn't big enough I just overlapped two.

DSC04845.JPG

Back