Other hobbies that are not ship model building

I am also into music and hi-fi. Here is a picture of my partially completed model (HMS Royal William) with the hi-fi system in the background:

1697571254795.png

For those who know about hi-fi, this system is unusual in that it has been modified to run active, with the crossover done in the computer. There are numerous advantages to doing this which result in better sound quality. The disadvantage is cost and complexity. The crossovers are generated using Acourate, with measurements taken of the driver and at the listening position. I can time align the drivers, correct phase issues, and even cancel bass standing waves so that the result is absolutely linear at the listening position.

The speakers are Acapella High Violons, which are also unusual in that they have plasma tweeters. This is an actual glowing ball of plasma that produces sound.

This is what the pipeline looks like:

1697571314397.png

I still have an old German Hi-Fi stereo with AM, FM, Shortwave with City Names versus channel numbers. It was from early 50's in days of "Radio London" or "Radio Berlin" days.

My Horex Regina 350 series "0" from year 1950 is now complete and passed already the official technical inspection TÜV
- next step is to register her as a historic vehicle

I am sooooo happy

View attachment 373680

View attachment 373681

View attachment 373682

View attachment 373683

officially she is "like new"

View attachment 373684
I will today travel to Salzburg for a weekend visiting the Classic EXPO Oldtimermesse / International Classic Car Exhibition

I will see .......

two days looking at classic cars, a lot can happen (with me) ;)

Although I didn't get to keep or fire a live round, I used to work on USAF A-10 Thunderbolt II and the GAU-8 30mm Gatling gun, part of my job was working "End of Runway" crew to make sure planes and armament were safe for flight, and after return safe to taxi the aircraft back to maintenance ramp.

One task was to back out the ammo from the gun after landing and then move rounds back to start of gun, so we verified no ammo left in barrels, but it was ready for next flight.

As an enthusiastic Dutch cyclist:
Today at 12:00: The NK Tegenwindfietsen / DC HeadWind Cycling.
If you are in a hurry, you might be able to participate in the NK Tegenwindfietsen today at 12 noon. Not boisterous enough in the morning. The organization assumes wind gusts of up to 88 kilometers per hour.
2 days ago it was decided that it could continue due to the storm Ciarán that is partly raging over the Netherlands today. If less than Bf6 this Dutch Championship does not happen:
1698910312989.jpeg
(PS: It’s not me on the picture!)
It is held on the famous ‘Oosterscheldekering’ and it is 8.5 kilometers straight against the wind on standard Dutch bikes without gear and a ‘coaster brake’ (pedal push back).
So, one of the positive thing about a storm.
And you have directly a beautiful view on this ‘New Dutch Monument’:
1698910715604.jpeg
PS: This event has a serious organization. They made this statement:
"The event benefits from being on the edge," says Stoekenbroek, "because it is cycling against the wind. However, we do have a serious safety emergency plan. The intention is that we will find the participants again at the finish and not that blow them off the barrier." He says it jokingly, but he means it seriously. Safety is paid close attention. "On the one hand, people have to decide for themselves whether they feel comfortable with it and we take responsibility as an event. If it turns out that it is crazy and we place people in unsafe situations, then we will do something about it."

This was in 2022:
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
your dutch are really special - crazy idea but funny.

I like this interview:
"Why are you doing this?" -> answer: "I do not know!"
Not all Dutch are that crazy. I stay inside when there is a big storm outside, even my dog doesn't want to go outside in this weather. Cosy with a cup of coffee behind the window, is more my thing. But everybody is free to do what you like in the Netherlands.

do you have a favourite?
My fav is the Incredible Hulk and I believe I have every issue/title he’s been in EXCEPT for Incredible Hulk #1 (1962). I’ve had #1 in my hands once (back in the mid-80s) and turned it down as it was $600 (which was equal to about 3 months rent). I remember getting home and my girlfriend told me to go back and get it. I was back in the store within an hour and it was gone. That issue, in the condition it was in, is now valued between $40,000 and $50,000.

While I love the Hulk, he has never really translated well in his stand-alone movies. He’s good as an extra (any of the Avengers movies) but not as the star.

As an enthusiastic Dutch cyclist:
Today at 12:00: The NK Tegenwindfietsen / DC HeadWind Cycling.
If you are in a hurry, you might be able to participate in the NK Tegenwindfietsen today at 12 noon. Not boisterous enough in the morning. The organization assumes wind gusts of up to 88 kilometers per hour.
2 days ago it was decided that it could continue due to the storm Ciarán that is partly raging over the Netherlands today. If less than Bf6 this Dutch Championship does not happen:
View attachment 404026
(PS: It’s not me on the picture!)
It is held on the famous ‘Oosterscheldekering’ and it is 8.5 kilometers straight against the wind on standard Dutch bikes without gear and a ‘coaster brake’ (pedal push back).
So, one of the positive thing about a storm.
And you have directly a beautiful view on this ‘New Dutch Monument’:
View attachment 404027
PS: This event has a serious organization. They made this statement:
"The event benefits from being on the edge," says Stoekenbroek, "because it is cycling against the wind. However, we do have a serious safety emergency plan. The intention is that we will find the participants again at the finish and not that blow them off the barrier." He says it jokingly, but he means it seriously. Safety is paid close attention. "On the one hand, people have to decide for themselves whether they feel comfortable with it and we take responsibility as an event. If it turns out that it is crazy and we place people in unsafe situations, then we will do something about it."

This was in 2022:
Regards, Peter
PS 3:00 PM: Canceled at the last minute. the wind exceeded over 100 km/h. The risk became too great.
We are a bit crazy, but not that much.
Regards, Peter

Back