Other hobbies that are not ship model building

This is another vegetarian dish, a black rice strudel with goats cheese.

1699244442034.png

1699244542847.png

Cook the rice and wilt the vegetables (in this case beetroot leaves). Spread out 3 layers of Brik pastry and brush butter in between. Lay out the rice, veggies on top, then goats cheese and fried shallots. Roll into a log.

1699244587750.png

Fry the logs to crisp them up. They can now wait at room temperature for a few hours until my guests arrive.

1699244664452.png

To serve, reheat in the oven. Briefly wilt remaining beet leaves. Plate the dish and drizzle some dressing on top (olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and honey) and serve.

In the same meal, I also made a Beef Wellington. The idea was to serve two types of dishes which were similar to each other but interpreted in a different way - one was a classic Beef Wellington, the other was a vegetarian take on a Wellington. Here is the Wellington:

1699244940934.png

It was made the classic way. Fry off a beef fillet until coloured. Paint it with dijon mustard. Then make the mushroom duxelles (diced mushrooms and shallots, fried in butter with some thyme, porcini powder, and a dash of truffle oil). The duxelles needs to be cooked until very dry to avoid seeping out into the puff pastry later. Lay out thinly sliced prosciutto onto some cling wrap. Spread out the duxelles evenly on top, then place the meat. Roll it into a tight log and refrigerate it to hold the shape. When ready to cook, spread out some brik pastry. Wrap the log tightly in brik pastry, then wrap it in puff pastry (the prosciutto and brik pastry layers prevent the puff pastry from going soggy). Roll it up again, decorate, and brush with an egg wash. Bake until the pastry is nicely coloured and a probe thermometer registers 52C for slightly above rare. Serve with sauce, which I made separately.

This is another vegetarian dish, a black rice strudel with goats cheese.

View attachment 404992

View attachment 404993

Cook the rice and wilt the vegetables (in this case beetroot leaves). Spread out 3 layers of Brik pastry and brush butter in between. Lay out the rice, veggies on top, then goats cheese and fried shallots. Roll into a log.

View attachment 404994

Fry the logs to crisp them up. They can now wait at room temperature for a few hours until my guests arrive.

View attachment 404995

To serve, reheat in the oven. Briefly wilt remaining beet leaves. Plate the dish and drizzle some dressing on top (olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and honey) and serve.

In the same meal, I also made a Beef Wellington. The idea was to serve two types of dishes which were similar to each other but interpreted in a different way - one was a classic Beef Wellington, the other was a vegetarian take on a Wellington. Here is the Wellington:

View attachment 404996

It was made the classic way. Fry off a beef fillet until coloured. Paint it with dijon mustard. Then make the mushroom duxelles (diced mushrooms and shallots, fried in butter with some thyme, porcini powder, and a dash of truffle oil). The duxelles needs to be cooked until very dry to avoid seeping out into the puff pastry later. Lay out thinly sliced prosciutto onto some cling wrap. Spread out the duxelles evenly on top, then place the meat. Roll it into a tight log and refrigerate it to hold the shape. When ready to cook, spread out some brik pastry. Wrap the log tightly in brik pastry, then wrap it in puff pastry (the prosciutto and brik pastry layers prevent the puff pastry from going soggy). Roll it up again, decorate, and brush with an egg wash. Bake until the pastry is nicely coloured and a probe thermometer registers 52C for slightly above rare. Serve with sauce, which I made separately.
... this is torturing, have mercy, please!!! :cool:

Love biscuit and gravy, but does remind me of the old SOS, sliced beef on bread or shit on shingles as the GI's called it.
SOS was known as 'chipped beef on toast' where the chipped beef was 'dried beef' in a gravy. I make biscuits and gravy using Jimmy Dean sausage.....much better IMHO!

Handguns are made for one purpose only and that is to kill fellow human beings...period. How can you be so proud to own such a thing?

Please keep them out of this forum as they will poison the air about as they did America.

Handguns are made for one purpose only and that is to kill fellow human beings...period. How can you be so proud to own such a thing?

Please keep them out of this forum as they will poison the air about as they did America.
So were cannons, and my current model has 102 of them. I've shot cannons for fun, and no one got hurt. You can't blame the spoon for making you fat. Just sayin'. You should allow others to be enjoy their hobbies even if you don't see the purpose in them, particularly if they enjoy them without harming the rights or safety of others. As for pistols, you should be thankful that you've never been in circumstances where you needed one for self defense. It doesn't happen often (thank God), but it does happen. On this topic it's best to agree to disagree and move on.

Last edited:

This topic is about other hobbies than ship modelling. Owning, collecting, shooting guns, big or small is a hobby in the US. So nothing wrong with people sharing their hobby. I live in Belgium where guns laws are immensely strict. I have also lived in the US where gun ownership is a totally different subject under a different legislation. So I totally understand that guns can be a hobby. I have my personal opinion about how gun laws in the US create problems, but it is up to the law makers to solve these. People that own/collect guns as a hobby within the boundaries of the law should not be judged here.

Let's not judge and let's not curtail freedom of speech and sharing information on our hobbies.

I came across a recipe for hardtack with salted beef. Maybe i'll make some and serve it at the next club meeting.

I’m going to be blunt while attempting to maintain civility…
I am sick & tired of woke, triggered, and offended… it is not my responsibility to tip-toe or tap dance around others people’s feelings. Those of us who enjoy firearm ownership have been kept cowered in a corner for fear of stirring controversy, upsetting people, or otherwise rocking the boat… that sun is setting. If you are offended by my firearm ownership, that is your perogative, however it is a “you” problem, not a “me” problem.

Last edited:
Back