Over seas purchase, ZHL

When purchasing something from overseas, such as Zhl, how are the shipping and customs charges paid? Are they paid at time of purchase? I'm sure shipping is made at time of purchase. I've been trying to contact Max at ZHL but to no avail. I realize this corona mess plays a large part in communication at the moment. I"m wondering more about the customs and taxes deal. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you one and all, Ken

Last I had delivery with Dhl I paid brokarage fee at pickup and with Fedex I had to pay online

Don’t worry the State (wherever) will get its pound of flesh . The pleasant thing is that Max will seriously understate the value of the package so , to continue the Shakespearean metaphor, the State may only get 8 ounces instead...

If it's delivered Fed ex or dhl, how does that work?
(In Canada) You pay duties and taxes at your door, and be prepared for around $20 in the brokerage and handling fees that DHL will charge on top, a little bit less for UPS. If you have the option (and the delivery people don’t tell you this), you can clear customs yourself by "refusing shipment". The package is then taken to a Canada Customs holding facility and you go there to pick it up and pay just the duties. So, the courier companies charge you for the convenience of doing this at your door.

Personally, I dislike DHL. If you’re not home they require you to pick up at their depot, pay their higher handling fees. It could be just the DHL depot in my city, but the pick experience was crappy. UPS and FedEx will attempt to deliver a couple of times and charge less.

Clear skies,
Gabe

(In Canada) You pay duties and taxes at your door, and be prepared for around $20 in the brokerage and handling fees that DHL will charge on top, a little bit less for UPS. If you have the option (and the delivery people don’t tell you this), you can clear customs yourself by "refusing shipment". The package is then taken to a Canada Customs holding facility and you go there to pick it up and pay just the duties. So, the courier companies charge you for the convenience of doing this at your door.

Personally, I dislike DHL. If you’re not home they require you to pick up at their depot, pay their higher handling fees. It could be just the DHL depot in my city, but the pick experience was crappy. UPS and FedEx will attempt to deliver a couple of times and charge less.

Clear skies,
Gabe
Thank you for that info... I actually spent a whole day trying to figure this stuff out..... supposedly, these "brokerage" fees are illegal., But they do it anyway.

in my purchases to crown hobbies( ebay seller in china) can not prnounce the chinese name also china products from amozon, i never had any extra fees nor from european countries either, both through FED-X and UPS AS WELL S USPL, just got delivery from ANCRE IN FRANCE no extra fees there either. Don

A friend of mine in China has told me that China Post are not delivering to Australia for the time being. I assume that applies for other countries as well. Private couriers and Ebay will still deliver from China though.

Thank you one and all for the information, as I was terribly afraid that I was going to get charged hundreds of dollars over the initial cost. That would of nixed the whole idea. I feel much better now about ordering from overseas. Thank you.

Back