Paint Color Match (Floquil c. 1970)

Hey group ... here's the thing. So, after a 40 year hiatus from building models. and looking around for some familiar names ... most are gone or rename and the chemistry is different.
I want to use one example for the this challenge because, I'm a little stumped. I got this plan for the Morgan that calls for a Floquil yellow ochre ... Floquill does not make yellow ochre any longer. They move into the model railroading arena (been there too).

Enter the Vallejo brand and their maaaaaaany branches shall we say (I like Vallejo for air brushing for many reasons).

Enter also the that Floquil is one of the narrow field of accepted paints if you want to have your work judged in anyway according to the standards by ... SHIP MODEL CLASSIFICATION GUIDELINES, Mystic Seaport, Mystic, CT

Model Shipways offers a paint ... however it is NO any of those listed in the extremely narrow list provided by Mystic, which by the way is dated all the back to 1980! Seems like an update there is in order for sure.

Any suggestions on paint matching ... and satisfying these narrow criterion? Oh here's that short list ...
- Floquil
- Pactra
- Humbrol
- Japan ???

Just a note. The MS kit only calls out three colors, black, white and yellow ochre. However, when making the whole model one will need several colors. Flat Black, Flat Red, Yellow Ochre, Surface Primer, Blue (Whaleboat banding), Green (Whaleboat banding), Yellow (Whaleboat banding), Orange (Whaleboat banding), Purple (Whaleboat banding), Grey (Whaleboat interior).

Take a look at the paint series of Jotika / Caldercraft.
When I built these kits I used their colors - good quality!

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/PSA_Paint.htm#Paint

Those paint's MSDS make them out to be of very good quality, particularly the water-based version for many reasons. However, their brand is not on the approved list of paints for a "museum quality" rating and therefor if I used them and enter my model it would fail. What I am hoping here is that someone of proper authority will see this post will see this and realize that the rules need a bit of updating. I mean -- Really? More than half of those manufactures are non-existent of have change their formulations to the extent that the colors no longer represent the period.
Here is a direct link to those guidelines: http://www.shipmodel.com/pdfs/ship-model-classification-guidelines-1980.pdf

As your properly finding out this is a tough ask for any one I mean we are talking about guidelines set almost 40 years ago. With all the new rules and regulations on how things are made, its tough to find normal day to day items with age old names that are the same. I fully understand and appreciate the art of traditional authentic ship building, however I’m realistic the world changes we need to live with what we have to work with, maybe the Mystic folks should as well, without sounding mean or taking anything away from what they do, they sound a bit old school tie to me. To be honest I had never heard of them until looking at your post. Which doesn’t mean much as my skills are defiantly not museum quality. What I do know is maybe every 40 years or, so an upgrade is needed. Yes a little ranting here but I just don’t swallow that someone can spend years putting ones heart & soul into building a great ship, ( some of the work on this site is a great example) only to have there work some how devalued because they could not find a 40 year old shade of paint with a name of a company who is no longer around or has changed the way the manufacture , without first clearing it with Mystic. All the top brands make yellow ochre, As we all know we could buy 2 bottles of ochre and there’s a possibility they will not match perfectly. Humbrol is an old brand and know for a fact they have changed there mixes over the years but are still good quality. When I do paint, which is rare I use Colder craft & MS paints which are as good as any. Ok rant over However I will keep looking as to help your cause.

Just my spin MOG

As your properly finding out this is a tough ask for any one I mean we are talking about guidelines set almost 40 years ago. With all the new rules and regulations on how things are made, its tough to find normal day to day items with age old names that are the same. I fully understand and appreciate the art of traditional authentic ship building, however I’m realistic the world changes we need to live with what we have to work with, maybe the Mystic folks should as well, without sounding mean or taking anything away from what they do, they sound a bit old school tie to me. To be honest I had never heard of them until looking at your post. Which doesn’t mean much as my skills are defiantly not museum quality. What I do know is maybe every 40 years or, so an upgrade is needed. Yes a little ranting here but I just don’t swallow that someone can spend years putting ones heart & soul into building a great ship, ( some of the work on this site is a great example) only to have there work some how devalued because they could not find a 40 year old shade of paint with a name of a company who is no longer around or has changed the way the manufacture , without first clearing it with Mystic. All the top brands make yellow ochre, As we all know we could buy 2 bottles of ochre and there’s a possibility they will not match perfectly. Humbrol is an old brand and know for a fact they have changed there mixes over the years but are still good quality. When I do paint, which is rare I use Colder craft & MS paints which are as good as any. Ok rant over However I will keep looking as to help your cause.

Just my spin MOG
My point exactly ... And you just did help my cause. I wanted to draw attention to everything you just said ... Glad someone else was paying attention

G'day wesmaine
Firstly welcome to SOS. You have a very huge problem. I woild suggest buy one colour and add to it till you are please with it. Remember you are your harshest critic, so if you are please everyone else will be also.
Happymodeling
Greg

G'day wesmaine
Firstly welcome to SOS. You have a very huge problem. I woild suggest buy one colour and add to it till you are please with it. Remember you are your harshest critic, so if you are please everyone else will be also.
Happymodeling
Greg

I think you have missed the point ... I may very well be pleased with a thing. But when it comes to having an item truly monetized by a curator by a museum for the purposes of museum standards, I have no choice but to conform to the stands set down by the museums of the world. And the document referred to above is what the museums of the world (i.e. Smithsonian, Mystic, and others) use to grade and judge ship models. For reference here is the document and the grading sheet again: http://www.shipmodel.com/pdfs/ship-model-classification-guidelines-1980.pdf

Here's an example Suppose I would paint my ship dayglow pink with purple sails using krylon paints ... I might be well pleased with it in myself (NOT). But t hat would in NO WAY be a museum quality piece both in color standards and color specification type or brand.

Last edited:
Ok I see your point. Sorry mate, I can't help you on this matter.
I will try the net to see if I can find any information for you.
Happymodeling
Greg

Ok I see your point. Sorry mate, I can't help you on this matter.
I will try the net to see if I can find any information for you.
Happymodeling
Greg

It really about helping the museum curators out of their dungeons to realize that there is a whole world out here that has moved and changed over the last forty years. Kennedy is not the President any longer. OOPs

Back