Paint Metal to Look Like Wood?

I think there is not much we can do but paint it with some brown hew acrylic paint. Before painting it should be primed with automotive paint primer.

I've never done it, but what about planking over with very thin veneer, it looks like you have the plank shapes to follow,
Best regards John,

Fletch Dog,
What Neptune has suggested worked for me... at least if the boat is upside down. When the boat must show right side up, I had planned to cover it with a tarp, similar to a lifeboat. Good luck with whatever you choose. Terry

FF.jpg

Fletch Dog,
Based on the picture, it looks like you have done a nice job. The small boat seems to match the ship pretty well. However, you may want to consider painting the boat gunnels a color that can be easily seen from a distance and distinguish it from other small boats in the water.
If you agree that the time and effort you put into detailing the ship should be reflected in the small boats attached to it, the book: Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders by Donald Dressel has a chapter explaining how to scratch-build a small boat, but there are many good books available.
I hope that I was able to help, Terry

One thought to help metal look more like would is to help simulate the wood grain of lumber.

Try a short bristle wire brush, I forget the formal name but I have seen home made ones, and use it to lightly scratch the metal in length wise strokes to put a fine bit of detail into the metal to help it look more like lumber. Then make sure not to use too thick a paint to hide the details.

Thanks all for the kind comments and advice. I did use a razor saw etching marks horizontally. I think the paint filled most of that in.

I did think about scratch built but I just don’t have the skill set to do that. I looked at lifeboat kits too but their size didn’t work

And yes I’d like to paint the gunnels and keel a darker color. I don’t have a steady enough hand to do by eye. I’m afraid if I tape it it may take some paint off when removing the tape. I might try this on the stern (easier to repair) to see if it works.

Again thanks

Thanks all for the kind comments and advice. I did use a razor saw etching marks horizontally. I think the paint filled most of that in.

I did think about scratch built but I just don’t have the skill set to do that. I looked at lifeboat kits too but their size didn’t work

And yes I’d like to paint the gunnels and keel a darker color. I don’t have a steady enough hand to do by eye. I’m afraid if I tape it it may take some paint off when removing the tape. I might try this on the stern (easier to repair) to see if it works.

Again thanks
A light contrasting color... e.g. white, yellow, red, blue just along the top of the gunnel could be easily seen against the dark sea, just saying?
Terry

I tried this: primer, medium brown spray paint, darker brown acrylic (with a saw tooth cut stiff brush, blotted with a damp rag and acrylic black thinned with water and blotted that.

Not perfect but may work. Any thoughts???
Looks very good. Tearing off a piece of washing-up sponge would work as well. There are a lot of wood-simulating techniques on YouTube. But you need to look for plastic models - some of those guys are magicians

Stay happy , keep modeling

Thanks Terry. Makes since. Not sure why the kit or photo didn’t show this? I guess asterisks. I’m letting the acrylic cure and will figure out finishing touches.

I use a straight burnt senna or burnt umber acrylic paint on metal. Dark or light brown. At scale I do not try to simulate wood grain. My favorite color is the burnt sienna which is a dark weathered brown look Once mounted on deck the paint blends in nicely. Best results if you prime paint first…

Thanks Terry. Makes since. Not sure why the kit or photo didn’t show this? I guess asterisks. I’m letting the acrylic cure and will figure out finishing touches.
Hi Fletch Dog,
Yeah, if any color at all, it would be up to the Captian. Consider hailing a small boat in port that wasn't yours or seeing one adrift at sea... Without a mast, flag, or uniform the color of the gunwale might tell me who it belonged to and who was manning it. Ya think?
Terry

Try the method illustrated below. I wish I could credit the original author but I don't know who (s)he is; the pictures were sent to me years ago by a buddy overseas who no longer recalls the source. For the moment, suffice to say I have had excellent results on a variety of poly-based surfaces as well as on various metals and gloss-glazed ceramics. The key is to make certain the surface is well cleaned before priming.

zzzzz1.jpg

zzzzz2.jpg

zzzzz3.jpg

zzzzz4.jpg

zzzzz5.jpg

zzzzz6.jpg

zzzzz7.jpg

zzzzz8.jpg

zzzzz9.jpg

I've also seen ship's boats painted with various colors. It doesn't have to be bare wood. It could be green, red, blue, white, etc.

Back