Painting Metal Launches

Pwh

My kit La Toulonnaise comes with a metal launch or small boat. What's the best way to finish it? My last kit I simply painted it brown but I was not happy with the result,
Are there any other alternatives to improve the look of the launch?
Thanks

One of the items I would definitely replace, either scratch built or with one of the nice little laser cut aftermarket kits. They are a bit fiddly to assemble, but the final result is great!

My kit La Toulonnaise comes with a metal launch or small boat. What's the best way to finish it? My last kit I simply painted it brown but I was not happy with the result,
Are there any other alternatives to improve the look of the launch?
Thanks
I took the metal launch and planked it with wood stripsw

I planked mine with wood strips

Attachments

• F7F12263-CAC3-47E8-80D1-A5A963405DB2.jpeg
    F7F12263-CAC3-47E8-80D1-A5A963405DB2.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 26
It definitely helps to prep the metal and apply a good primer base. The top coat then takes on a smooth look as if one painted wood planking.

Falconet has some real nice small boat mini kits. Here's how mine came out for my Rattlesnake, the detail easily exceeds the kit provided boat. Same goes for my Surprise, I have no idea if they are historically accurate but the scale is correct and as I say the detail is superb.

bncvb.jpgnbbvcgbv.jpgsfdghsfg.jpgzfdxf.jpg

This is the best picture I have I hope it helps. The planking was about 1-2 mm wife I used ca glue after sanding it down with steel wool and acetone.

0E3D8CEE-C6BD-4B26-855E-2D1B1DD64A60.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back