Panart HMS Victory Pinnance

Hi,
Quick history of myself. I have always been a modeller, love putting things together.Mostly radio controlled warships. The last one i built was HMS Nurton, mostly scratch built, but it burnt me out. I have had a hiatus for about 15 years, but in that time have tried to build a couple of RC ships but the oooommmppphh wasn't there, Now sitting in the garage awaiting there fate.

So, feel the need to try something new. Hence I purchased HMS Victories Pinnance by Panart. How hard can it be? Well, its an open boat. So care is needed in the planking. I,m not the most patient of people. Their only appears to be enough planking for 2 layers, despite the shops blurb saying it is triple planked, so all my mistakes are on show! Think that I Layed too many planks from the top, which means that as the stern starts to curve the planks are not following the curve. Sure there is a proper name for this curve, but I dont know the correct terminology, so forgive me. The worst of it is towards the keel, but as I think the forward deck will cover this I have my fingers crossed that it wont show once I have the second layer on. But will have to be a lot more careful.

IMG_20190818_153906.jpgIMG_20190818_153921.jpgIMG_20190823_185043.jpg

Moved on a bit. Last plank to lay, and the gap is at the most 2mm. My solution is to pin the last plank in place so it is over the planks either side and then cut them away and fit the last plank. Not sure if this is acceptable in ship building, but i hope it works for me.
The hull has a few blobs of Cyno, and most of the skin from my finger tips, but at least I haven't sliced myself,YET!!

IMG_20190824_080346.jpgIMG_20190824_083811.jpg

Hallo and welcome here on board of our forum.
Great you directly introduce yourself with starting a building log.
Will follow with big interest and we all will try to help, where ever necessary and requested. :cool:

Hello Colin,
I have just purchased my very first wooden ship/ boat model and it is the Victory Launch / Sloop, by Panart. I am finding the instructions quite daunting to say the least, is it the same model as you are building ? And would it be at all possible to tax your brain and ask for som help ?
Ray

1268076D-0B2B-4B3D-B2A3-1FD8F6BCD731.jpeg

Hello Colin,
I have just purchased my very first wooden ship/ boat model and it is the Victory Launch / Sloop, by Panart. I am finding the instructions quite daunting to say the least, is it the same model as you are building ? And would it be at all possible to tax your brain and ask for som help ?
Ray
Hi Ray,
We would love to see your own build log, then plenty members can help you with your build. If you need help please let us know.

Hello Colin,
Ray
Really sorry but there is not a lot of help I can Give apart from look through other peoples builds and think about the placement of planks carefully. I have messed up the first layer, its very untidy, thought I could recover it on the second. Didn't work out. have put it aside for now. Will get back to it when I get over my hissy fit.
The plans indicate 2 layers of planks, varoius descriptions on online shps & Panarts site say its 3 layers, any one advice please?

Moved on a bit. Last plank to lay, and the gap is at the most 2mm. My solution is to pin the last plank in place so it is over the planks either side and then cut them away and fit the last plank. Not sure if this is acceptable in ship building, but i hope it works for me.
The hull has a few blobs of Cyno, and most of the skin from my finger tips, but at least I haven't sliced myself,YET!!
Hallo @colin100
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi,
Quick history of myself. I have always been a modeller, love putting things together.Mostly radio controlled warships. The last one i built was HMS Nurton, mostly scratch built, but it burnt me out. I have had a hiatus for about 15 years, but in that time have tried to build a couple of RC ships but the oooommmppphh wasn't there, Now sitting in the garage awaiting there fate.

So, feel the need to try something new. Hence I purchased HMS Victories Pinnance by Panart. How hard can it be? Well, its an open boat. So care is needed in the planking. I,m not the most patient of people. Their only appears to be enough planking for 2 layers, despite the shops blurb saying it is triple planked, so all my mistakes are on show! Think that I Layed too many planks from the top, which means that as the stern starts to curve the planks are not following the curve. Sure there is a proper name for this curve, but I dont know the correct terminology, so forgive me. The worst of it is towards the keel, but as I think the forward deck will cover this I have my fingers crossed that it wont show once I have the second layer on. But will have to be a lot more careful.

One more year.....
Hallo @colin100
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back