Santa Lucia - Panart, Sicilian cargo boat 1/30 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

So the next thing that I noticed was I'd used the wrong metal strip for the hatches - it should have been a thinner one and I needed the thicker one for the 'bulkhead hooks'. I thought about replacing, but I decided in the end I preferred the wider hatch bands and ordered another length of copper strip, along with more chain plates because there weren't enough supplied.
Anyway, on to the cabin ...
P1040475.JPGP1040476.JPGP1040477.JPGP1040478.JPGP1040479.JPG

next, the top of the main mast and the barbecue - no idea why I'm doing them at the same time! Using my cheap lathe to turn the top of the mast.

P1040480.JPGP1040481.JPGP1040482.JPGP1040483.JPGP1040484.JPG

A quick post
Rowlocks made, anchor and rope, barrel stoppers in and stained and painted. I should have cut the staves in but I know with a great knowing that It would be beyond me and I would just mess them up
P1040485.JPGP1040486.JPGP1040488.JPGP1040489.JPG
now to the lateen, sails and rigging ...

Not much to say about the lateen rig, just tapering, assembling, varnishing and hanging up to dry. Sails marked out and will be sewn. Tell-tales attached
P1040490.JPGP1040494.JPGP1040492.JPGP1040502.JPG

hooks to attach the main mast rigging and rigging the sails
P1040495.JPGP1040500.JPGP1040501.JPGP1040504.JPG

On the final run in now. Oars, hooks to drag the boat out of the water, bucket (not as easy as it looks) and the capstan spars
P1040537.JPGP1040542.JPGP1040539.JPGP1040540.JPGP1040541.JPG

and that's it finished - fully sailed and rigged, barrels stowed on deck.

P1040554.JPGP1040547.JPGP1040555.JPGP1040558.JPGP1040560.JPGP1040561.JPGP1040562.JPGP1040557.JPG
Thoroughly enjoyed making it and it's the first double (triple above deck) planked boat I've built. A good kit from Panart with the usual confusing instructions, but good plans - the main criticism I have is that all the drawings are of the port side and nothing at all representing the starboard. Also the photo on the box is mirrored which I didn't grasp immediately - the bowsprit is on the port side in the photo but starboard everywhere else!
Things I didn't do: there's a 'dip' in the handrail/hull at the bow - I didn't like it
Barrel staves - no chance!
stairs down from the cabin - didn't realise they existed until too late - I blame the instructions.

I thank you for following

This will be my next build. I know that many of you boys out there like to scratch build, but I like kits - there's such a joy when that distinctive oblong box arrives and you open it up and see the wood and shiny things. I always get a thrill looking at the picture of the boat on the box lid, and thinking that I'm going to turn the flat contents into that. Maybe that's just me.
Anyway I was going to get the Armed Pinnace that Graham built so beautifully - following his build would be incredibly helpful - but I saw this and liked it more. It was a choice between cannons and barrels of wine and the alcohol won.
It's a panart/mantua and forewarned is forearmed or something. So I know that the instructions will be wrong/limited/in the wrong order, etc and that the quality of the plywood will be suspect but, I intend painting it as shown because I like the black and white (I may change the green to blue) and I can replace the plywood cleats, etc with solid wood ones.
And actually, the Panart instructions are a lot more detailed and clearer than Mantua ones. We shall see.
So this will a build log when I start, which will be soon because I've already dry-fitted the frames.

View attachment 120167View attachment 120168View attachment 120169View attachment 120170View attachment 120171View attachment 120172
Hallo @Sulaire ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Very nice work . I remember my build as frustrating and I was not entirely happy with the result, so I gave it to my sister.

Thank you for the birthday wishes
I'm happy enough with my finished boat and like most Panart/Mantua kits there was a lot of head scratching and staring at the plans until they made sense. I also know my limitations ...

Seeing this has inspired me to get back to work on my Santa Lucia which was started at least 15 yrs ago. After checking, I think I'm missing the thin black and light colored rigging line, but that shouldn't be too hard to improvise.
Another ship that was started ages ago and was restarted recently is Le Recouvrance by Soclaine. I remember why both were put on hold. The leudo planking was quite challenging and the Recouvrance stern drawings were impossible to understand.

Nice job on your Leudo. It's been really more like 20 yrs ago mine was started and its been a slow go with my restart. My biggest problem was the scuppers. After the deck was planked I found they should go above the lower rub rail which was too far below the completed deck to be possible. They will have to go above the upper rub rail. I don't know how this happened as the curved deck frames were mounted to the false deck without any adjustment. I think my bulwarks were too low and the 2mm waterways glued to the deck didn't help matters.. I also cut the cargo holds wrong, the large one fore and the small one aft. Anyway no biggie.

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 9
Seeing this has inspired me to get back to work on my Santa Lucia which was started at least 15 yrs ago. After checking, I think I'm missing the thin black and light colored rigging line, but that shouldn't be too hard to improvise.
Another ship that was started ages ago and was restarted recently is Le Recouvrance by Soclaine. I remember why both were put on hold. The leudo planking was quite challenging and the Recouvrance stern drawings were impossible to understand.
Amazing how putting something aside and then revisiting it will often clarify the confusion. Often, just doing a different job on same build, allows the subconscious to work. Its like trying to remember a forgotten word that suddenly pops into mind hours later apropos nothing. The main thing is not to give up the hobby.

Great model - very well done - my Congratulations for finishing her

This will be my next build. I know that many of you boys out there like to scratch build, but I like kits - there's such a joy when that distinctive oblong box arrives and you open it up and see the wood and shiny things. I always get a thrill looking at the picture of the boat on the box lid, and thinking that I'm going to turn the flat contents into that. Maybe that's just me.
Anyway I was going to get the Armed Pinnace that Graham built so beautifully - following his build would be incredibly helpful - but I saw this and liked it more. It was a choice between cannons and barrels of wine and the alcohol won.
It's a panart/mantua and forewarned is forearmed or something. So I know that the instructions will be wrong/limited/in the wrong order, etc and that the quality of the plywood will be suspect but, I intend painting it as shown because I like the black and white (I may change the green to blue) and I can replace the plywood cleats, etc with solid wood ones.
And actually, the Panart instructions are a lot more detailed and clearer than Mantua ones. We shall see.
So this will a build log when I start, which will be soon because I've already dry-fitted the frames.
Hallo @Sulaire
Birthday-Cake

View attachment 120167View attachment 120168View attachment 120169View attachment 120170View attachment 120171View attachment 120172
Hallo @Sulaire
Birthday-Cake

Back