pecan wood

I live in Texas, and we had eight native Pecan trees in our backyard. Recently due to a few trees dying, we decided to have them cut down for safety reasons. They are about 3 stories high and about 3 foot in diameter. I had the arborist who cut them down leave me some branches for use in cooking (BBQ), and for burning in the fireplace. However I made sure to save 4 large diameter pieces of trunk, for wood working projects. My question, is pecan wood good for ship building?
Perhaps Dave could guide me on this one? Thanks!

I live in Texas, and we had eight native Pecan trees in our backyard. Recently due to a few trees dying, we decided to have them cut down for safety reasons. They are about 3 stories high and about 3 foot in diameter. I had the arborist who cut them down leave me some branches for use in cooking (BBQ), and for burning in the fireplace. However I made sure to save 4 large diameter pieces of trunk, for wood working projects. My question, is pecan wood good for ship building?
Perhaps Dave could guide me on this one? Thanks!
I think also that the grain is not optimum for modeling, but here really @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) can help

Thats great. You need to cut those sections into billets and store away somewhere in a drying rack to they don't twist.

Dave Stevens might chime in with an additional comment.

Dean - I always use the Wood Database site, great info and pretty good pics of lots of wood species. It says that Pecan is damn hard (Janka Hardness) and it looks like the grain is too pronounced for our scales.... here’s a link:

Thanks for the link. Looks like it would be good for flooring with the high Janka Hardness rating!
Probably why it is not very friendly for hand tools. I will use it for something! ;)

Back