Pin Striped Tape and/or black card.

Good afternoon,

I am getting to the stage in my build of my Endeavour where I will commence with the manufacture of the masts and yards. I read that one can also use pin striped tape and/or card to simulate the iron bands around the masts and yards. I have a couple of questions regarding the use and the type of tape/card:

1. I assume the tape has a self adhesive backing. How long would this adhesive last before it deteriorates over time and becomes detached from the surfaces?
2. What type of tape would the members reccomend using before I start purchasing something which is not suitable for the job?
3. I am also considering using black card. Is there a type of card out there which does not have a white centre layer?
4. Based upon the experience of you good people, which is the better option for the simulation, tape or card, or perhaps something else, bar using brass metal strips?

As always, I appreciate very much your help.
Stay safe.

Trevor.

Last edited:
I have used pin stripe plastic self adhesive tape for a waterline. The model is now 30 years old under glass and has not deteriorated. Lou

I normally use black paper stock...like construction paper. I slice thin strips and wrap around mast and gluing in place. When finished I apply a coating of polyurethane to the mast piece.

i have used pin striping tape...the kind one would use mostly for automobiles...works OK...I have not had any indication of the pin striping adhesive failing over time. My complaint is I can’t find a flat matte pinstripe...all I have found is gloss. Not so good for masts. Maybe OK for a waterline stripe. So I am mostly back to using black paper.

Last edited:
You might look at ‘Art Tape’ too. Available in 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4” sizes. Adhesive backed; I’ve only used black but think it comes in white as well. The surface is matte black and imitates iron well. I’ve shellacked over it or put a dab of matte acrylic varnish on the end to make sure it doesn’t let go. At some art supply stores.

Attachments

• 819354D6-FD02-469A-8852-3149B5EE0DD2.jpeg
    819354D6-FD02-469A-8852-3149B5EE0DD2.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 10
You might look at ‘Art Tape’ too. Available in 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4” sizes. Adhesive backed; I’ve only used black but think it comes in white as well. The surface is matte black and imitates iron well. I’ve shellacked over it or put a dab of matte acrylic varnish on the end to make sure it doesn’t let go. At some art supply stores.
Many thanks for the tip. Can you say what the material of the tape is?

Many thanks for the tip. Can you say what the material of the tape is?
It may be something like a masking tape. Has a slightly crinkled finish. Makes nice a iron band or ring substitute.

Good afternoon,

I am getting to the stage in my build of my Endeavour where I will commence with the manufacture of the masts and yards. I read that one can also use pin striped tape and/or card to simulate the iron bands around the masts and yards. I have a couple of questions regarding the use and the type of tape/card:

1. I assume the tape has a self adhesive backing. How long would this adhesive last before it deteriorates over time and becomes detached from the surfaces?
2. What type of tape would the members reccomend using before I start purchasing something which is not suitable for the job?
3. I am also considering using black card. Is there a type of card out there which does not have a white centre layer?
4. Based upon the experience of you good people, which is the better option for the simulation, tape or card, or perhaps something else, bar using brass metal strips?

As always, I appreciate very much your help.
Stay safe.

Trevor.
Hallo Trevor, alias @LuigiSoft
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special day
Birthday-Cake

I used black heat shrink tubing. It comes in various diameters and just pick one closest to your mast or yard and slip it on. Now comes a bit of a tricky part, heating the heat shrink, just be real careful you don't distort the heat shrink as you heat it. I use my soldering iron to control the applied heat and just watch it carefully as it tightens up, so you don't overdo it, and it's done. Now varnish to it for a flat finish or over it for a finish that's anywhere from satin through to gloss depending upon the varnish you are using.

After you make a few turns of tape/paper, put a couple of drops of thin CA. It'll soak and harden the wrapping. (Its used in making rings from veneer and turned on a lathe)

Back