Pisa Class Cruiser RHS Georgios Averof

I am planning to build the Greek Cruiser Giorgios Averof in 1/700 scale. She was a Pisa Class Cruiser built in Italy around 1903. I saw her while visiting relatives in Paleo Faliro, Greece back In the 80’s. I was amazed at her immaculate condition.
As I can find no kits currently available in that scale, I am considering scratch building her.
Would anyone know of a source for plans? I have scoured the internet and found history, pictures, a basic drawing, however it is less detailed than my needs require. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• AD5C3FC8-6924-4062-BF58-D52FFD4B9B6C.jpeg
    AD5C3FC8-6924-4062-BF58-D52FFD4B9B6C.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 8EB9E62C-2851-41A4-96FE-99B1029AB996.jpeg
    8EB9E62C-2851-41A4-96FE-99B1029AB996.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 27
Very interesting project you are preparing , especially the ship is still existing

1024px-Averof_Today2.jpg

There is another drawing on wikipedia

Averof1.jpg

As we can read on the wikipedia page, the ship is / was a modified Pisa-class cruiser built in Italy....... so maybe it would be vise to search in Italy, if there is somewhere a archive of contemporary drawings made by the shipyard ....

but maybe more important for you could be this publication

Greek Armoured Cruiser “Georgios Averof” 1911-1913, Super Drawings in 3D (Kagero 2018)​

A new book from Kagero & Tassos Katsikas...

Kagero is a well known Polish publisher of specialized modelling books and with the “Super Drawings in 3D” series they have taken the art of reference editions many steps further.

One of their latest addition about the “Georgios Averof” Greek Armored Cruiser is no exception: Packed with a plethora of 3D color drawings (we counted 130) in 70 pages on matte excellent quality heavy paper, A4 size (210x297mm), you get a wealth of reference material.

Tassos Katsikas has done an excellent study of “Georgios Averof”, producing a set of super detailed color drawings of the cruiser, especially for Kagero.

The text is minimal, in the form of a historical narrative (overview, design, propulsion, armor, armaments, operational service & conclusion) - 6 pages in total, including general data charts/technical specifications and data about the sister ships Pisa and Amalfi. The rest of the book is full of large color 3D drawings, which show in detail almost every aspect of the cruiser, inside and out.

The drawings start from the ship’s hull and superstructure, port, starboard and topsides, and then follow a walk around pattern showing the bow, armoured turrets, forecastle deck, anchors, chains, capstans, telemetry towers, rangefinders, stern deck, searchlights, steamboats, rudder, propellers, telegraph wires, crane booms, masts, funnels, observatories, bridge, etc, with many close-up pictures. All the illustrations are highly realistic as though you are looking to the real ship using an imaginary drone!

The drawings are clear and perfect for the maritime modeller to see all the useful details that could help make a true masterpiece. This release does include drawings for below the waterline, so it is perfect for those who build full hull. As a bonus a folded double-sided black & white set of drawings of the Averof is also included, showing the exterior of the craft in 1/300th, 1/100th & 1/50th scales. This is an A1 folded sheet of line drawings and contains 3 views of the ship overall, in 1:300 scale, while on the reverse there are bow and stern drawings in 1:300, plus numerous detail drawings of equipment in various scales between 1:50 and 1:100, giving even more detail. Of particular interest are the distinctive radio aerials with their spreaders.

If you plan to build the YS Masterpieces superb 1/350 resin scale kit of the “Georgios Avereof” then you should seriously consider buying this book, as an absolute and essential modeling reference and a color guide. You will even find ideas for weathering and adding many small details, like these concerning the guns and cannons, boats, hatches, etc. to your model. A must-have for any maritime modeller.

Uwek,
I saw the book offered online, but could not fnd a decent review. The review you posted is quite extensive. I will look further into acquiring it. Thank you.
Regarding the scale, I thought I would start out small with scratch building her in 1/700 first in a diorama. I may place her at sea, or in port in Alexandria,Egypt.
An old friend of the family was Mr. Sakalarides, a professor of English in Alexandria when the Averof arrived in Egypt. He was conscribed into the British Navy as a lieutenant and given the job of teaching English to the Greek officers, and perhaps crew, and translation of the placards on the ship so they could be made bilingual. He would often speak to us of his time in the war and the pride of the Greeks serving on this ship.

BTW: Did you try to get in contact with the museum where the original ship is?
I guess they know, if there are any drawings existing of this ship....

I would also check the pages on the greec language, because sometimes such pages have more content

θανάση,
Σας ευχαριστώ πάρα πολύ.
εκτιμώ πολύ τη βοήθειά σας.
Ανδρέας

Tom,
Thank you so very much. I appreciate your help so very much.
Andrew

BTW: Did you try to get in contact with the museum where the original ship is?
I guess they know, if there are any drawings existing of this ship....

I would also check the pages on the greec language, because sometimes such pages have more content

Thank you. I had not thought of the museum. I will look into it. When I went many years ago there was only a naval guard at the gangplank. No visible offices.

Thank you. I had not thought of the museum. I will look into it. When I went many years ago there was only a naval guard at the gangplank. No visible offices.
on the web-page you can find some contact data

AER3393. I have sent you a pm...

View attachment 261752

Dear Θανάση
I searched a lot but i can't find the hull desing of the ribs do you have any idea where i can find them?
Το χώρισμα των νομέων ψάχνω ρε φίλε και δεν βρήκα τίποτα . Έχεις καμιά πληροφορία?
Thanx

Dear Θανάση
I searched a lot but i can't find the hull desing of the ribs do you have any idea where i can find them?
Το χώρισμα των νομέων ψάχνω ρε φίλε και δεν βρήκα τίποτα . Έχεις καμιά πληροφορία?
Thanx
Thank you so very much.

aaa.png
I am searching for the hulls ribs , a design like this photo I have photos from all sides . The reversed front side of the ship with this fantastic ram makes it quite difficult to construct . i dont have the experience to design it

I am planning to build the Greek Cruiser Giorgios Averof in 1/700 scale. She was a Pisa Class Cruiser built in Italy around 1903. I saw her while visiting relatives in Paleo Faliro, Greece back In the 80’s. I was amazed at her immaculate condition.
As I can find no kits currently available in that scale, I am considering scratch building her.
Would anyone know of a source for plans? I have scoured the internet and found history, pictures, a basic drawing, however it is less detailed than my needs require. Any help would be appreciated.
we have the same problem brother all the plans are poor. check this link . i found a 3d design . click down right (view inspector) and then
the wideframe style ..maybe it can help you

Aris,
I was in Athens for 4 days on holiday and am now on a ship in the Ionian Sea for 14 days touring the Mediterranean. While in Athens, I went to the Averof museum and took some photos so I can detail my Averof kit that I picked up from YS Masterpieces. There were few design drawings on display, and I thought of your project, so here they are. Hope they are of some help.

Yiasou

8BAD295A-F859-4A8B-985A-0D96C9EB92C5.jpeg

7D508E8C-F6C4-4BFC-8557-7554F9518E45.jpeg

50FCCBF9-55BE-4316-BA63-F05AEA3D830F.jpeg

DFAD8BAE-6A79-4708-BFB0-E80629E851A7.jpeg

BE2AC229-D216-46E5-9833-86F39A1BF3B3.jpeg

E37D2DAF-1742-425C-9B2B-38BA53160044.jpeg

D72865DE-ED86-4780-ADD2-D78A4C263288.jpeg

C5613F9E-5E45-49D7-BE53-BC2D8582D16A.jpeg

8C473E85-23C3-435D-852B-19B6DAFBEA96.jpeg

CC1C3917-8891-4888-8E25-E893518F8F0D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: