Plane and Chisels ?

Tony P

Staff member
Le Rochefort Moderator

Ok making my list of things I need to take the plunge to wood. About the only things I need are a good quailty plane and a chisel set. I know Micro Mark and Model Expo tool quality is sometimes questionable. Are there any US modeling tool suppliers that carry better quailty woodworking tools without breaking the bank ?

Tony

Actually, I just bought some mini chisels from Micro Mark. I think the 'head' on the one on far left is about 3/16" or about 3 to 4mm wide. Very sharp. I was able to 'shave' wood in a test notch with no problem. Now, how long they will last, I am not sure. $20 USD . Very heavy feel to them. Chrome finish. Handles are about 5mm or 1/4" diameter.

1578411990234.png

It depends really for what you would like to use the chisels.
I have a very good detailed chisel set produced in a small number, but i use them only in special cases - problem here is how can sharpen them, f.e. the curved ones?

For the day to day working for some details, like cut out notches etc. I use these Hasegawa chisels of different sizes, sharp like hell, light and easy to sharpen if necessary - they are usually used in plastic modeling, but work very well in timber also
HLB1asleFXXXXXX7bpXXq6xXFXXXE.jpg HTB1r1ZmNFXXXXXxaXXXq6xXFXXXL.jpg_q50.jpg

There is a place called the Hummul carving company, which sells Dockyard Miniature carving tools and a Miniature tool strop that you can use to shapen the tools. It may work for them. If not I belive that Flex carving tools has a strop also for sharping their tools. There is a holding tool jig for holding them for sharping on a stone, which am not sure if one can still get it. I have one and will post a picture so you can see what it looks like. They are not to bad. I got most of the dockyard tool's when the first came out which price wise wasn't to costlee. Gary

Back