Plank Clips

I tried it and couldn't get the extra lever thing to stay in the clamp. Every time I opened the clamp the extra lever would jump out. Must have been the brand of clips I was trying.

I tried it and couldn't get the extra lever thing to stay in the clamp. Every time I opened the clamp the extra lever would jump out. Must have been the brand of clips I was trying.
I've had the same issue - randomly. Some clips stay fixed, others spring apart. But once they're in they stay put.

I use them. I also have a large supply of unusable clips since you have to scavenge one piece of a clip to make one of the clamps. Also, you have to be careful of the sizes as I found you have to use two different sized clips to get one clamp. So, I have a pile of partial clips and wrong size clips...:). Also, I found that they work pretty good as long as there is enough space on the frame/bulkhead for the clamp to grab ahold of. So, at some point you can't use them and have to find another means to hold the planks (like the cords above).

I use them sparingly, I find the grip inadequate so they slip easily. I might have a play and see if I can improve on them. Maybe small squares of rubber cut from washing up gloves glued to the inner face of the clip?

In full disclosure, I've never built a single layer plank on frame. Every kit I've built (and I'm currently working on projects #9 and #10), have all been double plank on frame.

For the kits that have better wood used for the hull cross sections, I use planking screws. The downside is that by the time I'm done planking the hull, I have huge callouses built up on my thumb and index finger that take a good month to get back to normal. But for the second (outer) planking layer, I use painters tape to hold the thin strips in place. The thicker strips of walnut, I keep in place with... planking screws... again... :)

But I do like the idea of the spring (Bulldog?) clips for kits from outfits like Artesania Latina, where the ply is so thin and soft planking screws aren't an option. With the Red Dragon, I used brass pin nails to hold the first layer in place, and then pulled the nails prior to applying the second layer in walnut. I'm currently doing a double build... The Corel 1:98 HMS Victory (I'd previously built their main mast cross section kit), and the Artesania Latina 1:60 Red Dragon.

I, too, use these clips - But I glue in small strips of wood of various lengths instead of the odd"handles". There are times a short one works better and some times a longer one does.
View attachment 367969
Good idea. It also means you're less likely to make an indentation in the wood, which might be the case with the wire clips being applied to hold the pressure on the plank. Better still might be to put an Idea cutting board to use and cut it in thin strips. That should also work okay, and less likely to accidentally bond to the plank. The downside would be having to use epoxy to hold the strip in the clips, and then you'd be permanently in possession of a given length of handle for that clip.

I, too, use these clips - But I glue in small strips of wood of various lengths instead of the odd"handles". There are times a short one works better and some times a longer one does.
View attachment 367969
Excellent solution that solves the problem of metal handle shooting across the room just as you are preparing to apply the clamp.

Back