Plank Tapering

How do you taper a plank?

I have seen numerous articles on how much to taper but can't find anything on how to actually do it. I have tried various methods of holding the plank and using a mini plane and sanding block, but nothing I have tried will consistently produce a straight taper with square edges. Are any jigs available to help?

Also, is it acceptable to taper just one edge or does it need to be both?

Thanks,
William

When tapering grip a few planks in the vice as 5 at a time. Mark amount of wood you want to remove with ink or with pencil on left and right exposed surface of the planks. This will ensure consistency and square edge when working with the plane on them.

To add to Y.T.'s comment... I modified a small bench vice by attaching a 1 x 12 x 1/8" length of aluminum to each jaw of the vice. Set the plank(s) in the jaws along your taper line and use a wood sanding block with 80 or 120 grit paper to remove the plank material as necessary. I've seen videos of folks using a mini-block plane to do the same thing, but I'm not comfortable running a sharp blade against metal. I also use an inexpensive digital caliper to make sure of the taper is correct. Hope this helps.
...henry

A straight edge or one with a very shallow curve can be used to cut a plank if you have steady hands. Multiple, light cuts are necessary to go through even thin planking material, because even if you use a new, sharp razor knife, the grain will make your cut go off course. As a beginner, the trick is to make the cuts on precisely the same line along the straight edge without shifting the position of straight edge. Marking the wood with a pencil before you cut is a must if you want to see how you are doing and making the cut in the right place. Like anything, you get better as you practice.

I also use a cheap metal vice to hold a planking strip at a shallow angle, and use a sanding block to sand the edge of the wood in order to shape the plank. If you don't need to cut away a lot of material, this technique may be preferred.

William, I struggled with this process and bought a Half Hull Planking Project. The tutorial is in this link:

It provides a step-by-step process posted on the NRG site on how to plank a hull including measuring and tapering techniques.

How do you taper a plank?

I have seen numerous articles on how much to taper but can't find anything on how to actually do it. I have tried various methods of holding the plank and using a mini plane and sanding block, but nothing I have tried will consistently produce a straight taper with square edges. Are any jigs available to help?

Also, is it acceptable to taper just one edge or does it need to be both?

Thanks,
William
Use a drum sander on a drill press. Mark the curve on the wood, Sand to the line. Use a sanding block to smooth the curve. Repeat to fit. This process, along with a jig, was described in the MSB journal about 4 years ago. Look it up and build yourself the tools. The system works flawlessly. You can produce any convoluted curve you can think of. Spiling is trivial.

Back