Planking Around Riders & Other Structures

My question is how planking/decking would be done around large structures such as Riders, where little thickness would be left after cutting around the object. I'll explain further by showing a picture from the Bonhomme Richard cross section I am currently building:
1643607358872.png
In the above drawing of the orlop deck of this model, the rider is shown in red, protruding into the deck area. The first plank against the outer hull would be cut on either side of the rider (unlike structures that sit on TOP of the deck, this goes through it of course). Outlined in Blue is a plank that would have to be cut to fit around the rider. In the above case, there is a fair amount of material left to the plank, possibly 1/3 its width. But depending on plank width and rider size, it could be as little as an inch or even less, making the plank very weak at that point.

We, as modelers, have usually been taught to cut around such openings, like with gun ports, making the plank in one piece. But on a real ship, with the plank perhaps 20' long, would they really make it this way, with maybe only an inch of width across the 20" or so of rider width? I would think it might break before even put into place. Might it make more sense to have the plank in 2 pieces, cut at the green line shown above, or probably more logically, at the center of the rider, at the purple line?

Structurally, and for ease of construction, I would think it would be made in 2 pieces. What do you think? What was actually done, if anyone knows or has pictures of same?

Often the distance between riders are relatively short, so the planks would be too short, if they would cut like yours with the green line. The red line would definitely not be used.
Joints on planking are definitely done over the beam of the deck, so that the treenails can be driven. So the location of a butt joint of deck planking is defined by beams and not the riders

Back