Planking (holding) Hand Screws

Anyone use these, I got these back in the 90’s. knurled finger screw w/ holding clamp. I don’t see anyone using them in their builds.
I used them for those stubborn PCs that just wouldn’t lay flat You just Screw in the frame/bulkhead.image.jpg

I HAVE THESE, NOT VERY GOOD, M/S KITS OR VERY SOFT BASSWOOD THESE WOULD SPLIT THE BULKHEADS, AND EVEN ON PLY THEY SPIT THEM ALSO, BESIDES THEY BEND. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

They are on the delicate side, but a lot of our tools are. They worked on a few planks for me.
a buddy used them, but he did break a few planking his Bounty

Last edited:
I also bought some a year or so ago and have never used them, I think that in future I will try to slow down a bit and make some more bamboo tree nails with the Byrnes draw plate, Has anyone read Harold Underhills book on ‘Plank on Frame models’

Hi Brian, I find sitting in the sunshine pulling bits of bamboo through a draw plate and getting them down to about 1mm diameter a rather contemplative activity a soothing bit of manual labour whilst allowing the mind to lallygoggle all over the place.. Cheers T

I was using them but found out very soon that they are made of too soft material which bends when tightened and leaves ugly dark marks on planks. So this is why I made my own of small wood screws, scrap pieces of 6 mm dowel & 2,5 mm plywood. On thick bulkheads they work perfectly:

received_971810556608060.jpeg

Anyone use these, I got these back in the 90’s. knurled finger screw w/ holding clamp. I don’t see anyone using them in their builds.
I used them for those stubborn PCs that just wouldn’t lay flat You just Screw in the frame/bulkhead.View attachment 156269

these should have a pilot hole also drilled when using. Anything finer that this thread, would prob just break off.

these should have a pilot hole also drilled when using. Anything finer that this thread, would prob just break off.
The screws I was using have coarser threads than those Micro Mark's ones. No pilot holes were necessary for my balsa plywood bulkheads, screw threads are self starting. But in the case of harder material bulkheads pilot holes are necessary.

I have a plastic version of these...probably from the early 80s...they work great and I use them whenever I can't use a clamp...which basically means a lot. I do drill a pilot hole so the bulkhead doesn't split. I have used them on all basic bulkhead materials...solid wood, plywood, and mdf board. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! :)

I have a plastic version of these...probably from the early 80s...they work great and I use them whenever I can't use a clamp...which basically means a lot. I do drill a pilot hole so the bulkhead doesn't split. I have used them on all basic bulkhead materials...solid wood, plywood, and mdf board. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! :)

I have those too and love them and also have the silver ones Sea Burd shows in the first post. They are great for holding things in place while the glue dries, but the pain is that they get in the way of laying the next plank. I've gone low tech and use pin nails or push pins which do the same job but don't get in the way.

Back