PLANKING WITH PLASTIC BETWEN THE PLANKS.

Hello all Have a question about planking a ships deck. Instead of using paper or lead pencil or black markers a Member of our group , Kortes, used plastic on his ship, and it looked really good. My question is, does the double sided tape used in the cutting process, remain to hold the plastic to the wood or is it just slipped in between the plank with out the double sided tape? This was not evident to see, in his post of his ship, La Jacinthe. I contacted him, but I believe there is a language barrier. thank you for your interest.

Thank you Uwek.... but does not show if the double sided tape is completly removed.
I think, that it will be not removed - it is very thin (do not use the normal one) and has no color.
Otherwise during sanding or scraping the deck, the plastic strip would not stay where it should be.......but let us wait for the detailed info by @Kortes

Yes thank you Uwek ,It would be something I would like to try on building the Jacinthe, I have ordered the ancre book, should arrive in 3 weeks time. It is not a project I would start soon. I already have one ship in dry dock . I am also busy building a machinist tool box out of maple. these two Projects have kept my tea cup full.

Yes thank you Uwek ,It would be something I would like to try on building the Jacinthe, I have ordered the ancre book, should arrive in 3 weeks time. It is not a project I would start soon. I already have one ship in dry dock . I am also busy building a machinist tool box out of maple. these two Projects have kept my tea cup full.

I just realized, that the Jacinthe is one monograph I am still due to to make the planset review - but this I will make soon
The tool-box you show is looking very good - would be also interesting to see your work on this tool - or maybe the final result......

However, this immediately brings to mind that it might be possible to find online or local hobby shop plastic strips that are used for plastic model bashing. I know they come in a variety of thickness, but are usually all white. They can be painted. I used water color art paper and wished I had not. It has tendency to tear when trying to chisel off excess.
I just found this kitkraft.com it seems they have various rectangular rods in many sizes to use as caulking. But depending on scale, might be way to thick. Just my 2 cents.

I seem to remember that Kortes used black plastic sheets from A4 sleeve jackets obtainable from stationers and cut strips to size and glued them in. Lengths that were oversized were trimmed to deck level with a blade. That was the method I used in response and it worked well.

i used black electrical tape on deck planking put strips. i put a stack in the vice edge up, applied tape then cut with sharp blade . looked pretty good until i used a solvent based finish. so much for that idea. next time ,if there is one, i will use an acrylic finish.

i used black electrical tape on deck planking put strips. i put a stack in the vice edge up, applied tape then cut with sharp blade . looked pretty good until i used a solvent based finish. so much for that idea. next time ,if there is one, i will use an acrylic finish.
hate when that happens. I once painted a model car finish came out fantastic using acrylics. I then decided to paint the trim around the front and rear windows and well as the door window trim wiper arms and door handles. I wanted it to look as close to chrome as possible so I used silver enamel paint from Testers. it came out fantastic as well. an hour after all the hard work I returned to find all the trim crinkled. the solvent in the enamel paint lifted the acrylic paint and ruined the whole thing. I learned to test everything before I commit to anything.

I did see a Chinese vendor of ship models on eBay selling plastic black strips for plank caulking, but I now cannot find it.

Just for an idea

I always use x-ray films.

Fist I cut the x-ray film into strips.

And then glue to the wood with Cyanoacrylate adhesive then sand it.
PICT2706.JPG

And the result

PICT2796.JPG

I used same technique on my latest project Montanes. Process was very very frustrating and slow for the size of the model . But the result is super. :)

7.jpg

In most craft stores in the US you and purchase a black PVA glue or on Amazon. I haven't used this on a ship model but I found it useful in paper modeling. Given that the deck seams are typically less than 1 in wide Just gluing the deck planks with the black glue should do the job. A comment on color. Oakum is typically a very dark brown to a dark gray. You can color PVA glue with water color pigments if you want to replicate the color.

Jim

I was thinking about the use of strips of black (120gr) paper by the building of the Bluenose. When you lay down a new plank, you can fit the paper strip between . And it is easy to sand, together with the surface of the panks.
Regards, Peter

I was thinking about the use of strips of black (120gr) paper by the building of the Bluenose. When you lay down a new plank, you can fit the paper strip between . And it is easy to sand, together with the surface of the panks.
Regards, Peter
What a great idea and so simple as you say easy to sand and would also give a natural appearance. Thumbs-Up Thumbs-Up Thumbs-Up

Regards, Peter
I have in the past used thread between the planks and it is very good looking but very time consuming. I think the(paper - card) would give a similar result but be more user friendly.

Back