POF Models

Be careful - POF modeling is similar a drug

Related to your question:
There are several POF kits which have also the masts and yards included.

Take a look at the Le Coureur of manufacturer CAF for example, which we have inb our group build area - here you can find the kit review and also several building logs

or the Bluenose kit

but you are correct, most of the POF models have no masts etc. they shall represent the contemporary admirality models, which had also no masting shown.
To decide about a new ship form or class, it was important to see the hulls form - masts, yards etc. were standard at this time and not important to show with these models......
Another reason might be, that most of the POF-models ahve the "museum"-scale of 1:48, so finished models with masts would be often more than 1 meter long and also high, with a width of 25 to 30 cm - The models are not fitting any more in average workshops......

Just remembered also the La Salamandre, a bomb ketch, which is also available with masts and rigging......

Again the Druid is a complete kit !

bandido mentiuoned correctly the Druid - also fully rigged

Just because we can find a new update on the log of @Koreets of his amazing Salamandre bashed kit

I had a look at Koreets work - it's really well done, some serious skill that man has. And he keeps a ruler in the photos to remind us how tiny everything is haha.

I see what you mean by saying POF is druglike ;)

I think the manufacturers realized there was a category to be filled with PoF kits. I see them as a "bridge" between PoB kits and scratch PoF builds. Many modelers are hesitant to move from PoB kits straight to a PoF scratch build, perhaps unsure they have the skillset to construct the many frames and navigate the the inherent complexities and angles of cant frames, hawse timbers in the bow and sometimes even more complex timbers and angels in the stern. The PoF kit pretty much removes those complex challenges, although faring and sanding of timber angles in both those areas are still needed, I see it as less stressful.

Honestly, I see this category of kits growing. What will be interesting is to see how far manufacturers will go (in complexity/size) with these types of PoF kits. Will we ever see a HMS Victory PoF kit, or any 3 decker for that matter. I think they are currently seeing how well the current PoF kit offerings are doing in the market. If they think the market will support even larger ship models, which I would imagine would be very expensive, we may see them test the waters with Frigate PoF kit next. It is very interesting to watch the model ship business/hobby grow. We've seen so many changes in the last 5 years. Who knows what is next.

I think the manufacturers realized there was a category to be filled with PoF kits. I see them as a "bridge" between PoB kits and scratch PoF builds. Many modelers are hesitant to move from PoB kits straight to a PoF scratch build, perhaps unsure they have the skillset to construct the many frames and navigate the the inherent complexities and angles of cant frames, hawse timbers in the bow and sometimes even more complex timbers and angels in the stern. The PoF kit pretty much removes those complex challenges, although faring and sanding of timber angles in both those areas are still needed, I see it as less stressful.

Honestly, I see this category of kits growing. What will be interesting is to see how far manufacturers will go (in complexity/size) with these types of PoF kits. Will we ever see a HMS Victory PoF kit, or any 3 decker for that matter. I think they are currently seeing how well the current PoF kit offerings are doing in the market. If they think the market will support even larger ship models, which I would imagine would be very expensive, we may see them test the waters with Frigate PoF kit next. It is very interesting to watch the model ship business/hobby grow. We've seen so many changes in the last 5 years. Who knows what is next.
Here is a Pof frigate in development

@bandido , have you ordered the Druid already? Did you order the same kit as I built? I suggest that you read as much as my log as possible so that you will be familiar with some of the problems I encountered. However, you might not have the same problems as I did. There are some areas that I probably did not take my time to study the situation. Next, the Druid now comes with an ADDITIONAL upper deck beam kit - I forgot about mine and it did not get installed.
I also built mine as a Navy Board style as I did not like the rigging line that came with kit - it is horrible. I came with a very large spool of golden sewing thread - it depends on how serious you want your ship to turn out. If you want rigging to look right, you will have to replace most of the line.
As Zoltan pointed out to me, that this Druid was Unicorn's first runs of designing kits and take that at face value too. I do not want to discourage you. You might have a better experience.

Those of you who have purchased and built Plank on Frame model kits now that they are completed or in the process of being completed what do you think and would you build another The reason I ask is I have purchased the Druid and will be my first attempt at this type of kit!
In my opinion a POF kit is both challenging and satisfying to build. I have built several POF as well as POB kits. The real question to ponder is how do you want the end result to look? With POF kits one would want to show the frames as a part of the build to illustrate how ships were constructed...so you leave off a lot of the planking. To say it another way, one would not want to completely cover the frames with planking on a POF kit. If you want your end result to be a fully planked model then a plank on bulkhead (POB) kit would serve you much better. I enjoy POF kits and always leave planks off to highlight and show the framing. Another point, if you want to build what is defined as an Admiralty type model, or Navy Board style, that is no masts or rigging, just the hull structures, then a POF kit is the ideal choice. Some thoughts on your question from a different approach. As with any first attempt, it is one part at a time!

Last edited:
Here is a Pof frigate in development

I've been eyeballing this ship for LONG. Relly hope it comes to fruition.

@bandido , have you ordered the Druid already? Did you order the same kit as I built? I suggest that you read as much as my log as possible so that you will be familiar with some of the problems I encountered. However, you might not have the same problems as I did. There are some areas that I probably did not take my time to study the situation. Next, the Druid now comes with an ADDITIONAL upper deck beam kit - I forgot about mine and it did not get installed.
I also built mine as a Navy Board style as I did not like the rigging line that came with kit - it is horrible. I came with a very large spool of golden sewing thread - it depends on how serious you want your ship to turn out. If you want rigging to look right, you will have to replace most of the line.
As Zoltan pointed out to me, that this Druid was Unicorn's first runs of designing kits and take that at face value too. I do not want to discourage you. You might have a better experience.
Donnie, I ordered the kit already! the kit I ordered is one of ZHL's Kits! I took it for granted it was the same kit? I actually ordered the Druid POF as My First attempt at Plank on Frame kits the other reason is your build is very detailed and will help me work through my first POF build. You did a very good job on your build informationThumbsup. Like I was saying above I will start the Druid after I finish my La Soleil probably early next year?? I can not tell you how helpful this site is without it, it would be hard for me to maneuver through these kit instructions?? if that is what you want to call them!!! the build logs have helped me a lot!!

yes, the one that you ordered is the same kit that I built.

NEED SHANGHI OPEN TO SHIPPING, YES DA HI LOOKS TO BE THE ULTIMATE STE OF THE ART KIT, MY HUMBEL THOUGHTS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

yes, the one that you ordered is the same kit that I built.
I have one question concerning the Druid I see there is no lower hull Planking, does the kit come with planking for the lower hull? I know some kits comes with planking and builders leave one side open?

Back