Polaris sailing ship--OcCre

I will never attempt building a 17th-19th century three masted man-o-war or a clipper…way to complicated for me at this stage of my life. My hat is off to all that do. After building nine RC electric- or steam- powered crafts, I decided to build a sailing ship. After looking around on the internet I found OcCre’s “Polaris,” advertised as a “Level 1 beginners kit”. Well, when it comes to sailing ships, that’s me. The kit came compactly packaged with all components nicely sorted. Included were loads of instructions (in five languages), photos, and diagrams. There were few uncertainties with this build. The 85 step-by-step YouTube videos online left no doubt as to what to do next and how to do it. I was especially worried about doing the rigging and attaching the sails, but I got through those steps without trouble. So here is my completed model. I am a bit chagrined at this simple model when I compare it to many larger and much more complex ships that appear on this forum. They are gorgeous! But perhaps my little project will give some encouragement to a modeler who is just getting started building a sailing ship.

IMG_1332.jpegIMG_1333.jpegIMG_1327.jpegIMG_1328.jpeg

Very nicely done. I too am about to start the same model. It is the first wooden model ship for me, so it’s both daunting and exciting all in one.
Anyhow, I hope mine looks as good as yours does when I’m done.

It turned out very nicely, no matter how much you defend yourself against it :). I also admire people who build ships with multiple masts and lots of ropes, but everyone chooses what suits them. I chose a boat that had a lot more to do with wood and less rope. The only important thing is to enjoy the hobby.

Good luck in your future work.

Very Nice indeed - very clean - well done !!!

I will never attempt building a 17th-19th century three masted man-o-war or a clipper…way to complicated for me at this stage of my life. My hat is off to all that do. After building nine RC electric- or steam- powered crafts, I decided to build a sailing ship. After looking around on the internet I found OcCre’s “Polaris,” advertised as a “Level 1 beginners kit”. Well, when it comes to sailing ships, that’s me. The kit came compactly packaged with all components nicely sorted. Included were loads of instructions (in five languages), photos, and diagrams. There were few uncertainties with this build. The 85 step-by-step YouTube videos online left no doubt as to what to do next and how to do it. I was especially worried about doing the rigging and attaching the sails, but I got through those steps without trouble. So here is my completed model. I am a bit chagrined at this simple model when I compare it to many larger and much more complex ships that appear on this forum. They are gorgeous! But perhaps my little project will give some encouragement to a modeler who is just getting started building a sailing ship.

View attachment 357922View attachment 357923View attachment 357924View attachment 357925
You have done a beautiful job with this build very clean lines very nice job

Hallo @TheDonMI
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back