Pre-Dreadnought Battleship 'Potemkin' (1900) in 1/100

Hi everyone!
This is my first proper post on this forum, and I hope not the last!
I will be building a 1/100th scale model of the Imperial Russian Battleship Potemkin, famous for her crew's mutiny in 1905 and the revolutionary 1925 movie based on that event.
I have a beautiful (though not quite perfect) set of plans from Harhaus, in Leipzig. I do recommend you go check them out, they make some good drawings, though they are a smidge more contemporary than what is common here on this forum

Harhaus

Since these plans are under copyright, I will post only low res samples, and only if needed. But I also have another set of plans, afaik from a modeller's magazine from the USSR. I'll use these for reference in my future posts, and I've put them here for you to download.

That being said, let's get down to the nitty-gritty, shall we?

I'm a stickler for trying new things, so the Hull shall be 3D-Printed from HIPS (The same plastic used in sprue kits).
For that end I've started work on the 3D model of the ships Hull.
There's still some work to do (There always is...), but here she is:

1622040321840.png
1622040346515.png

1622040373941.png

I'll keep you posted! ;)

Attachments

• potemkin.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I am very happy, that you started your building log of the Potemkin - this will get very interesting :cool:
The link to Harhaus is unfortunately not every time working - take also a look at their 200 page catalogue in pdf-format

I am very happy, that you started your building log of the Potemkin - this will get very interesting :cool:
The link to Harhaus is unfortunately not every time working - take also a look at their 200 page catalogue in pdf-format
Thanks for telling me that, I have a new link here and I'll edit it in the original!
I also want to add my collection of reference images: here

I tried to find additional photos for your reference image collection.....
I have just checked and found out that the Potempkin was not the ship used for the famous film "Battleship Potempkin", they were other ships shown in the film

The famous scene on the Odessa stairs and the descendants

I guess there are additional photos to be found when you search in russian language, maybe one of our russian speaking friends could help, maybe @Jimsky
Such contemporary photos can help extremly in the preparation and execution......

Заложен 28 сентября 1898 года на стапеле Николаевского Адмиралтейства в городе Николаеве. Разработку проекта, а впоследствии и руководство строительством осуществлял корабельный инженер Севастопольского военного порта А. Э. Шотт.

Построен на прототипе эскадрильи линкора «Три святых», переработанном проекте линкоров типа «Пересвет», схема бронирования аналогична английскому линкору «Маджестик».

На линкоре впервые было применено централизованное управление артиллерийским огнем - с центрального поста, расположенного в боевой рубке. Он стал первым кораблем ВМФ России с котлами на жидком топливе.

26 сентября 1900 года был спущен на воду линкор «Князь Потемкин-Таврический», а 20 июня 1902 года он совершил переход в Севастополь - для доработки и вооружения. Первоначальный срок ввода в эксплуатацию был сорван из-за пожара, возникшего 20 декабря 1903 года в котельной и нанесшего серьезный ущерб. Расследование причин выявило ряд конструктивных и технологических недостатков котлов, которые потребовали их замены на твердотопливные котлы. При испытаниях артиллерии главного калибра в броне башен были обнаружены снаряды. Их тоже пришлось заменить на новые.1200px-Panteleimon1906-1910.jpg

Водоизмещение расчетное 12 480 тонн, фактическое - 12 900 тонн. Длина корпуса 115,4 м, ширина 22,2 м, осадка 8,4 м. Электростанция состоит из трех групп паровых котлов (две из них - 14 котлов, работающих на жидком топливе и одна из 8 котлов - на угле), которые приводили в действие две вертикальные паровые машины тройного расширения общей мощностью 10 600 л.с. Скорость полного курса корабля - 16,7 узла. Карданные валы располагались симметрично и оснащались винтами диаметром 4,2 метра со скоростью вращения 82 об / мин. Полный запас топлива составляет 950 тонн, усиленный - 1100 тонн (на долю угля приходилось 340 тонн). Дальность плавания при экономичном курсе в 10 узлов составляет 3600 миль. Запасы судовой воды - 14 суток, запасы корма - 60 суток. Главный калибр - четыре 305-мм орудия со стволами длиной 40 калибров, установленных в двух башнях. Масса одной пушки - 43 тонны, скорострельность - 0,75 выстрела в минуту, начальная скорость снаряда - 792,5 м / с, масса снаряда - 331,7 кг. Угол вертикальной наводки был сделан больше, чем на линкорах «Балтика»: -5 ° ... + 35 ° [1]. Боекомплект одной пушки составлял: 18 бронебойных, 18 осколочно-фугасных, 4 сегментных, 18 чугунных, 2 картечных.

Средний калибр - шестнадцать 152-мм орудий с длиной ствола 45 калибров массой 5 тонн. Скорострельность - 4 выстрела в минуту, начальная скорость снаряда - 792 м / с. После восстания линкор был переименован в «Пантелеймон».

I am ready to search for the necessary information on Russian-language websites and forums.

google translation:

Laid down on September 28, 1898 on the stocks of the Nikolaev Admiralty in the city of Nikolaev. The development of the project, and subsequently the construction management was carried out by the ship engineer of the Sevastopol military port AE Shott. Built on the prototype squadron of the battleship Three Saints, a revised design of the Peresvet-class battleships, the booking scheme is similar to the British battleship Majestic. The battleship was the first to use centralized control of artillery fire - from a central post located in the conning tower. It became the first ship of the Russian Navy with liquid fuel boilers. On September 26, 1900, the battleship "Prince Potemkin-Tavrichesky" was launched, and on June 20, 1902, he made the transition to Sevastopol - for revision and armament. The initial commissioning date was disrupted due to a fire that broke out on December 20, 1903 in the boiler room and caused serious damage. Investigation of the reasons revealed a number of design and technological shortcomings of the boilers, which required their replacement with solid fuel boilers. During tests of the main caliber artillery shells were found in the turret armor. They also had to be replaced with new ones.

The calculated displacement is 12,480 tons, the actual displacement is 12,900 tons. The length of the hull is 115.4 m, the width is 22.2 m, the draft is 8.4 m. in operation two vertical triple expansion steam engines with a total capacity of 10 600 hp. The speed of the full course of the ship is 16.7 knots. The cardan shafts were located symmetrically and were equipped with screws with a diameter of 4.2 meters with a rotational speed of 82 rpm. The full fuel supply is 950 tons, the reinforced one is 1100 tons (the share of coal accounted for 340 tons). The cruising range on an economical course of 10 knots is 3600 miles. Marine water reserves - 14 days, feed reserves - 60 days. The main caliber consists of four 305-mm guns with 40-caliber barrels installed in two turrets. The mass of one gun is 43 tons, the rate of fire is 0.75 rounds per minute, the initial velocity of the projectile is 792.5 m / s, and the mass of the projectile is 331.7 kg. The elevation angle was made larger than on the battleships "Baltika": -5 ° ... + 35 ° [1]. Ammunition of one gun was: 18 armor-piercing, 18 high-explosive fragmentation, 4 segment, 18 cast iron, 2 buckshot.

Medium caliber - sixteen 152-mm guns with a barrel length of 45 calibers and weighing 5 tons. Rate of fire - 4 rounds per minute, muzzle velocity - 792 m / s. After the uprising, the battleship was renamed "Panteleimon".

I am ready to search for the necessary information on Russian-language websites and forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Uwek. I managed to find a photo of the ship in its "mutiny year," 1905. It shows the torpedo nets, which surprised me. Too late for this model, which omits them. My assumption had been that in 1905 she did not have torpedo nets, but apparently I was wrong. On the other hand, photo dates can be wrong too... I have some finish details now, and that will have to do. I intend to place the famous photo of the Odessa steps in the background of the glass presentation case, and I have some 10 ruble notes from1905 to go with the model.
I tried to find additional photos for your reference image collection.....
I have just checked and found out that the Potempkin was not the ship used for the famous film "Battleship Potempkin", they were other ships shown in the film

The famous scene on the Odessa stairs and the descendants

I guess there are additional photos to be found when you search in russian language, maybe one of our russian speaking friends could help, maybe @Jimsky
Such contemporary photos can help extremly in the preparation and execution......mutiny year, 1905

What literature do you use else ?
I only have the Franco Gay plans, Jane's, and the historic photographs of the ship. What I have found most problematic with these predreadbought ships are the ventilator locations, hatch details, ladder placements, and details like that. These are hard to see on photos, and the plans usually omit them. There is a lot if guesswork...

Another

Hi everyone!
This is my first proper post on this forum, and I hope not the last!
I will be building a 1/100th scale model of the Imperial Russian Battleship Potemkin, famous for her crew's mutiny in 1905 and the revolutionary 1925 movie based on that event.
I have a beautiful (though not quite perfect) set of plans from Harhaus, in Leipzig. I do recommend you go check them out, they make some good drawings, though they are a smidge more contemporary than what is common here on this forum

Harhaus

Since these plans are under copyright, I will post only low res samples, and only if needed. But I also have another set of plans, afaik from a modeller's magazine from the USSR. I'll use these for reference in my future posts, and I've put them here for you to download.

That being said, let's get down to the nitty-gritty, shall we?

I'm a stickler for trying new things, so the Hull shall be 3D-Printed from HIPS (The same plastic used in sprue kits).
For that end I've started work on the 3D model of the ships Hull.
There's still some work to do (There always is...), but here she is:

I'll keep you posted! ;)
Hallo @Kosmonaut22
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
BTW: How is your project with your Potemkin going?

I'll keep you posted! ;)
So that was a lie...
Sorry everyone for my extended leave of absence, I've had to deal with a lot of mental health problems for the last year, but I've finally gotten back to work on the Potemkin. I've completed the 3d model for the main hull and split it into 4 parts that just about fit into my friend's HUGE 3D Printer.
I already managed to successfully print 1 piece of the hull, a segment that spans from the center of the hull to about 38cm aft of center.
The wall thickness is mostly about 4mm, thicker in parts, and I printed with 40% infill if I recall correctly...
I originally wanted to model in holes for portholes, but they would have been completely covered by support material anyway, so I just didn't bother :p
IF I DON'T FORGET I'll post some pictures of the printed segment tomorrow
Thank you all for your patience!

Thank you all for your support, it means a lot to me!
I've gone and taken a few pictures of the hull segment, as well as another test print that just finished, one of the turrets.
Both are printed in HIPS which is relatively strong but still easy to sand and can be glued with model cement. The hull segment is actually shorter than it was supposed to be, the print failed about 80% of the way because of poor bed adhesion. It still turned out well, I just need to adjust the other hull segment attached to it.

That hull piece weighs about 450g and took 3 days to print, I expect the other pieces will be similar
IMG_20220509_141503.jpgIMG_20220509_141531.jpg

IMG_20220509_141621.jpgIMG_20220509_141634.jpgIMG_20220509_141648.jpgIMG_20220509_141658.jpg
All those little gnarly pieces of plastic on the inside are a bit bothersome, but they break away easily and don't appear on the outside, so no biggie

Here's something odd I just noticed while looking through my reference images:
In all pictures of Potemkin prior to the revolt, when she still had her dark paint job, there are these long objects stored on the tops of both turrets01022007.jpg01022001.jpg
However in later pictures taken after her recommission these pieces are no longer there:
Panteleimon1912Sevastopol.jpg01022004.jpg
Any idea what these might have been?

I found an image showing these objects on the turrets

dvsfvdv.jpg

also here

and this image is making it clear

gettyimages-464420775-2048x2048.jpg

Rebel seamen on the deck of the battleship potemkin on which a revolutionary uprising took place june 14 - 24, 1905.​

Rebel seamen on the deck of the battleship potemkin on which a revolutionary uprising took place june 14 - 24, 1905. (Photo by: Sovfoto/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)

Back