Premium cedar for ship modelling..

Dear friends,

i have some left over 2x4s, premium cedar from my other project and wondering have you had any experience using this type of wood in ship modelling, beside very pleasant smell of it?

I can cut it for first planking layer or for something else but have not used it before..

Dear friends,

i have some left over 2x4s, premium cedar from my other project and wondering have you had any experience using this type of wood in ship modelling, beside very pleasant smell of it?

I can cut it for first planking layer or for something else but have not used it before..
I used already in the past lebanon cedar for deck planking - it has a light gray colour so very good for deck planking I think

Cedar is very soft and damages easily. You also need to check the grain of the wood.
It can have a heavy grain through it which is out of scale for ship modelling use.

Cedar is also very brittle. It looks pretty, but it's only advantage is resistance to rot. You could use it for decoration, but not for anything requiring strength. It's a bit hard than balsa, but unlike balsa, it is a lot more expensive. You could make a colorful stand baseplate for a model, as long as no pets or kids get near it and fill it with dents.

Cedar is also very brittle. It looks pretty, but it's only advantage is resistance to rot. You could use it for decoration, but not for anything requiring strength. It's a bit hard than balsa, but unlike balsa, it is a lot more expensive. You could make a colorful stand baseplate for a model, as long as no pets or kids get near it and fill it with dents.
Thanks, this is a good idea for a pedestal... and will try it in decoration...

Cheers

Back