Primer

On my first build(Endeavor), I used a light grey automotive primer in a spray can. When I sprayed on the paint it worked pretty well. Now, working on my Fair American, I used the same primer. Then I began painting the model with acrylics. They sure look good, but dang it, the tape will sometimes peel the paint right off. I am guessing that it is just sitting on top of the primer. What is the most effective combination of primer and paint types to use together?

I had that happen on plastic models before where the paint just doesnt adhere well. I think it was finger oils from touching the model as I washed it, then repainted and it was fine. For wooden models I like Kilz as a primer, pretty tough stuff and it brushes on nicely.

Usually spray can primer is enamel based, although you can find acrylic primer in cans if you look for it. The problem with the automotive primer you used is drying time. You really should wait at least 24 hours before trying to paint over it with acrylics, 48 hrs is better. Even with the longer drying time you really need to scuff the primer with a scotch-brite type of pad, or give it a light sanding prior to painting. Spray paint tends to develop a hard smooth surface that won't have enough "tooth" to allow other paints - specially acrylics - to adhere well.

Hi all, new here and just jumping back into the wonderful world of wooden ship models!
I'm soon to start build on my Artesania Latina Hermione (updated version) and want to make sure I have all bases covered.

So then, I have a question (which I haven't seen a clear answer to unless I'm blind): Which basic primer and sealer to use for water-based acrylic paints?

TIA

Back