Priming plastic model

Hi. Is priming mandatory before final coating a plastic model? I'm using various brands of acrylic paints. Plan to thin with lacquer thinner for spraying Tamiya. I've heard you get better results than just using their regular acrylic thinner. Thanks!

I don't think I would use a lacquer thinner to thin acrylic paints without a LOT of testing. Have you ever sprayed a lacquer based paint on an already existing acrylic paint? It draws up and crinkles the acrylic paint. Stick with what the paint manufacturer recommends to thin the paint.

As far as using primer, I have done many models where I have not primed the model first. However, you need to make sure that you clean the plastic first. You want to make sure you clean off any oils from finger prints and also mold release agents. These will prevent the paint from sticking to the plastic. Also, if you wash the plastic pieces, make sure there are no pockets of liquid left in any of the corners. An air compressor can be helpful with this. :)

Jeff

I don't think I would use a lacquer thinner to thin acrylic paints without a LOT of testing. Have you ever sprayed a lacquer based paint on an already existing acrylic paint? It draws up and crinkles the acrylic paint. Stick with what the paint manufacturer recommends to thin the paint.

As far as using primer, I have done many models where I have not primed the model first. However, you need to make sure that you clean the plastic first. You want to make sure you clean off any oils from finger prints and also mold release agents. These will prevent the paint from sticking to the plastic. Also, if you wash the plastic pieces, make sure there are no pockets of liquid left in any of the corners. An air compressor can be helpful with this. :)

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. I'll pry just go with the regular Tamiya thinner, per your suggestion. I wipe down all the plastic with IPA to clean it. That's what Ben at The Midwest Model Shop suggests. Thanks again for your reply!

I have used Tamiya paint extensively with plastic Japanese Warships and WWI aircrafts (WNW), they are compatible with lacquer thinner. If you want to play safe use the Tamiya Thinner. Myself I have a bottle of the Tamiya Thinner that I have seldom used. I you want to prime the parts it is not necessary with Tamiya paints. I would not use the spray can primer if you judge that it necessary to prime I would use the grey XF 66 diluted with lacquer thinner for more bite.

I have used Tamiya paint extensively with plastic Japanese Warships and WWI aircrafts (WNW), they are compatible with lacquer thinner. If you want to play safe use the Tamiya Thinner. Myself I have a bottle of the Tamiya Thinner that I have seldom used. I you want to prime the parts it is not necessary with Tamiya paints. I would not use the spray can primer if you judge that it necessary to prime I would use the grey XF 66 diluted with lacquer thinner for more bite.
Thanks for your reply. What ratio of lacquer thinner to Tamiya paint do you use? What psi do you spray at?

In my day I have built hundreds of plastic models. Wash them down and I primed them with PLASTICOAT automotive primer on model cars, planes, trains, ships, and plastic custom Industrial models. It comes in a rattle can and is made to paint plastic automotive parts without orang peeling the plastics. It's a rattle can purchased from your local auto supply store. Spray with several light coats to ensure complete coverage, you can actually buff it lightly with a cloth and you will find that you have not lost any of the surface definition, and now you are ready to spray it with the paint of your choice. this can be from acrylic to oil to lacquer-based paints, I've even sprayed nail polish over it. I hope this helps with the primer problems.

This is the Airfix Quick-Build Spanish Galleon I am currently working with. I am using water-based acrylics. I noticed that my layers of paint were weak, got damaged easily and came out easily as well, which I haven't seen before in my models. I usually do not use any primer. I applied a 50% diluted water-based varnish (Minwax Polycrylic) as a primer and that solved all the issues. I hope it helps.IMG_5442.jpg

In my day I have built hundreds of plastic models. Wash them down and I primed them with PLASTICOAT automotive primer on model cars, planes, trains, ships, and plastic custom Industrial models. It comes in a rattle can and is made to paint plastic automotive parts without orang peeling the plastics. It's a rattle can purchased from your local auto supply store. Spray with several light coats to ensure complete coverage, you can actually buff it lightly with a cloth and you will find that you have not lost any of the surface definition, and now you are ready to spray it with the paint of your choice. this can be from acrylic to oil to lacquer-based paints, I've even sprayed nail polish over it. I hope this helps with the primer problems.
Thanks for the tip!

This is good advice. Buy a rattle can of automotive primer and use that for the base coat.

PLASTICOAT is an automotive primer made to prime plastic automotive parts that then can be painted with various paints that would normally damage plastic models. PLASTICOAT is the brand name of the Product. It comes in a rattle, but it's not just a rattle can primer, it's a specialized plastic primer, I hope I've set this straight, because ordinary primers do not always protect the plastics.

Back