Project Management using Google Sheets

Recently I started to look at ways to organize the steps for completing my next build. I am familiar with Microsoft Project from my working days in the pharmaceutical industry, but I don't have Project anymore and don't need the expense of getting it. After spending some time looking at "free" alternatives, I ran across Sheetgo.com. This company has paid products/apps, but they have a free (with registration) simple spreadsheet template in one single file that works with Google Sheets (does not work with MS Excel due to the use of some functions available in Google Sheets that do not exist in Excel).

Here's a link to get the basic Sheetgo template: Project management template for Google Sheets (sheetgo.com).
Here's a link to a YouTube video on "Project Management template in Googler Sheets": Project management template in Google Sheets [GANTT CHART]. The video is focused on the multiuser version, so there is some information that is not useful for a simple one-person project sheet.

I tried the spreadsheet by creating one for the late stages of my OcCre Endurance build. Here are a couple of templates. I will not be sharing the spreadsheet as I don't want to violate any of the company's rights.

PM Endurance WBS.png
PM Endurance Gantt.png

I find the spreadsheet useful, particularly in figuring what can be done at any time ("Start-to-Start" dependency) and what needs to wait until some other step is completed ("Finish-to-Start" dependency). I am not worrying about the number of days to complete various steps and am only putting in estimates which can be changed at any time.

One thing that is nice is that one can add a forgotten or unanticipated step to the bottom of the "WBS" worksheet tab and update dependencies as appropriate. The "Gantt" worksheet tab updates accordingly.

There are other free project management tools available, but this one suited my needs well.

If you are following my Endurance build, you can see I am somewhat farther along than where I am on my posts at this time.

Hopefully someone will find this useful and potentially share how they do similar management of their builds.

Jeff

Back