Proper glue for bonding sheet styrene to wood?

CA gel will work to bond styrene to wood. This is what I use. There are cautions to observe: one is to use the gel not the thin CA (at least in my experience). The other is CA can and will melt the styrene if you use too much. Use small dabs of the gel for best success. CA thin is hard to control quantity and will almost always end up melting the styrene If too much is applied. Another trick using sheet styrene on curved surfaces…use a hot air gun to heat the shape and form it to the curve…such as a mast. The formed shape takes away the stress of the shape trying to spring flat as you are gluing it down. CA gel works better when the styrene lays flat to the surface and you are not fighting the shape springing open. Anyway…this is what has worked for me. I use a lot of styrene shapes in my ship models…especially for moldings around stern quarter windows and the shaped moldings along the length of the hull.
I have now tried this and for very small parts it works great. Not much luck with larger parts though. It takes time to set and tends to dissolve the styrene. However, spot gluing might work better. The most annoying thing about the CA glues is the horrifying feeling you get when you realize you have made a siamese twin of yourself by sticking body parts together.

I have now tried this and for very small parts it works great. Not much luck with larger parts though. It takes time to set and tends to dissolve the styrene. However, spot gluing might work better. The most annoying thing about the CA glues is the horrifying feeling you get when you realize you have made a siamese twin of yourself by sticking body parts together.
Yes…on both counts! CA will dissolve styrene when too much is applied...and stick your fingers together! :) For larger styrene pieces or parts I use very small CA gel drops. Add small drops to spots that need to be held down and apply…hold in place for a ten count. I find the CA gel in small drops adequately adheres the styrene without dissolving…again…even too much CA gel will eat away at the styrene. So it is an exercise in just enough and not a whee bit more! Can be frustrating! But I use styrene a lot and use CA gel all the time…

I'm remembering way back to when i was a boy but it seems to me that I used to use styrene cement(the kind idiots sniff) to glue together my balsa model airplanes. They stayed together long enough for me to crash them.
My go to glue for odd surfaces is Shoe Glue. It will even stick to polyethylene.
Interesting idea! Where would I find shoe glue? A cobbler?

I have had very good success using Loctite PL 400 Construction Adhesive for both indoor and outdoor jobs. This is used in the building industry.

So...what I have found out about superglue is that when I paint over the glued joint with acrylics, the paint balls up and produces little lumps which look bad. The texture is also very gummy and a pain to clean up. Anyone else have this problem? Superglues seem to work fine for very small parts and where something has to be fastened in tiny and difficult places. Just not much good if paint hits it.

Back