protection against breathing and other exposure to toxic fumes from glue

Hello,
I'm just getting into learning about building model ships from wood, learning the parts of the old sailing ships, what they look like and where they are located on the ship, and if I start out simple I think I will have some fun. There is one area of this that I need to find information on before I start, and that is how to protect myself against toxic fumes. I had a lung transplant 3 and 1/2 years ago and what I breathe has become the overriding factor in everything I do and everywhere I go. I need to find out what type of glues I need to protect myself against, then find a 100% effective way of doing just that. I am also going to talk to my pulmonologist about this, but was just wondering if anybody out there has any experience or knowledge that will help me. Thanks

Hi Henry,
Two that spring to mind immediately are CA glue (aka 'superglue') and if you are to use enamel paints the cellulose thinners you must use to wash the brushes. CA glue is very useful, but I know a lot of the guys use alternatives like Titebond for the woodwork and lacquer for sealing knots, lines etc. You can avoid thinners by using acrylic paints and lacquers which are waterbased, so brushes can be washed in water. I think all glues have some smell or other and the most glue-intensive time is planking, so you might benefit from a fan blowing across your workbench? Looking forward to following your build when you get started. Regards.

Titebond has a transparent glue that I now use on rigging. I am allergic to most smell that come from plants and some chemicals. The Titebond glues have no smell that affects anything. Water base like Graham said are easy on the nose and they do not affect me. I can not use a fan since circulating air intensifies my allergies (allergic to dust). No home can be free of stuff in the air, even with the best filter and even filters on the exit ducts, since you still have to open the door once in a while throughout the day.

Henry

I am allergic to epoxy resin. Symptoms are redness on eyelids, scaling. I went to a safety store and they told me to download a safety report on the epoxy resin I was using.

I went back to them and bought the correct respirator filter for the product. I also bought goggles and Nitrile examination gloves. I only use epoxx outside with the breeze taking the fumes away from me. Some filter are for dust some are for fumes and there is a range depending on the chemicals or dust.

Have a chat to a safety store, get a report on the product and see what they say.

I have no probelms with other types of glues

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Henry, I have some thick dust masks that I use when sanding the bamboo strips on the Sovereign of the Seas, the fine dust gives me a sneezing fit that lasts two days. I tried the mask when using CA glue, I can still smell the glue but don't get the irritation but it still irritates my eyes. White or PVA glue has a distinct smell (doesn't worry me) but it may affect you. Take into account wood fillers, you will need to use them later on in your build.
Regards
Eric

To all who gave me advice on breathing protection:
Thank you, I will try some water based glues, and check with my former oxygen supply and equipment store.

Back