Proxxon Lathes

Can anyone tell me the practical or significant difference between a Proxxon 150and 250/E
(the latter is 30%+ more expensive)
I would use it for small brass and wood turning

Hi,
The 150 version is a basic one, you turn your wood with chisel maintain with hand. The 250E is more precise, the cutting tool is maintain by a block that can be precisely positionned where you wanted. I search in vain for upgrading my 150 version, but it is difficult to find pieces for doing it. If you have the money, go for the 250E version that will give you more versatility and flexibility in your work.

The 250 has a collet attachment for er20 collets which is a better setup than the 230s proprietary collet set I own. IMHO

I used to own a 230, sold it and purchased the 250, which is based on the 230 design but with a lot of improvements (e.g. the 3 claw chuck and collets).
Accessories which I definitely recommend are Proxxon parts 24026 and 24024 allowing fast tool bit swaps.
I tend to use the lathe on copper, brass and Aluminium.
If possible I try to stay away form steel. To process steel properly one better should use cooling fluid to do a proper job en I find that too messy on such small lathe.
I prefer the Proxxon over a bigger lathe because the weight and size allows it to be stored away when not in use.

Unfortunatly, it is not available for Canada. I envy you.
Is it not an option to buy in the USA?

I used to own a 230, sold it and purchased the 250, which is based on the 230 design but with a lot of improvements (e.g. the 3 claw chuck and collets).
Accessories which I definitely recommend are Proxxon parts 24026 and 24024 allowing fast tool bit swaps.
I tend to use the lathe on copper, brass and Aluminium.
If possible I try to stay away form steel. To process steel properly one better should use cooling fluid to do a proper job en I find that too messy on such small lathe.
I prefer the Proxxon over a bigger lathe because the weight and size allows it to be stored away when not in use.
sorry for silly question, but can it be used for small wooden items such as for making stantions etc

In my opinion it can, but honestly it think it is an expensive solution if it is the only thing you want to use it for. In the end the machine is designed to for metal. When I used it on wood occasionally I tend to used a in a way that a lathe for wood works, meaning with a chisel or cutting device free in the hand.
In that case you just as well can buy the proxxon 27020 wood turning lathe which is by far cheaper.
Alternatively there is the lathe from Mantua. It works very well but I find it rather noisy and it needs an external transformer, whereas the proxxon can be plugged into the mains directly.

Is it not an option to buy in the USA?
Thanks, I verify the price and wow, after currency exchange, shipping and duty it cost a lot of money. Oh I forget to say that I have the DB250 version, I have new bearing that require to be install in a near future to increase stability of the vertical axe (vibration or distortion). Honestly, I just miss a tool support, but the conversion is too difficult for me and I have no easy solution for that transformation.

Last edited:
Thanks, I verify the price and wow, after currency exchange, shipping and duty it cost a lot of money. Oh I forget to say that I have the DB250 version, I have new bearing that require to be install in a near future to increase stability of the vertical axe (vibration or distortion). Honestly, I just miss a tool support, but the conversion is too difficult for me and I have no easy solution for that transformation.
Hello, this has been my car for about 35 years

DSC00200.JPG

DSC00482.JPG

About the PD250E pricing.
Proxxon is a German brand and best prices you can usually find in Germany.
Dollar and Euro have almost an equal value these days.
If it's worth it one might consider of importing one form Germany. Take into account however that the unit will be 23OV then.
But the price difference is more than remarkable.

Last edited:
Another option might be to go for Sherline.
In my humble opinion it does not look as sexy as a proxxon, but from what I read it is a good quality versatile hobby lathe.
It is better priced than Proxxon and has probability a better availability in Canada.
The model which I selected to be comparable to the Proxxon has even digital read out factory installed.
https://www.sherline.com/product/4400-dro4410-dro-lathe/#description

Last edited:
About the PD250E pricing.
Proxxon is a German brand and best prices you can usually find in Gremany.
Dollar and Euro have almost an equal value these days.
If it's worth it one might consider of importing one form Germany. Take into account however that the unit will be 23OV then.
But the price difference is more than remarkable.

One electrician told me in 2017 that I cannot use in Canada the EU std. But I found this morning this canadian web site : https://voltageconverters.ca/collections/voltage-converters-ult-series

So, converter exist for this kind of conversion. They provide a chart to choose the good wattage in function of the tool or appliance use.

Pricing varied between 150 $ CAD (600W) to 450 $ CAD (1700W).

I checked my my machine and the power rating is only 140W.
You should take a slightly higher rated conversion unit in order to avoid transformer saturation and deal with inrush and peak currents, but the 350Watt unit is moren than enough. This is priced at 99$.

A side remark though. Inside is probably and plane old transformer. This converts the voltage rating but not the frequency. Canada is 60Hz and Europe is 50Hz. So you will get 230V 60Hz. This wil not be of an issue for the proxxon, but it might be if one uses the converter with other equipment which is frequency sensitive.

Last edited:
Great infos. Thanks.

Edit : I made some chechs and peoples used Bosch tools in EU version with conceverter without any problems about Hz. THis open a large area for others tools availability.

Last edited:
Back