Proxxon Pen Sander?

Just wondering if anyone is using the pen sander and is it a good tool? Since it requires a Voltage adapter it is pretty costly - I am looking for something to sand that area of planking right next to the stem and sternpost - that area where you need something to sand with the run of the planks but it is right up against the stem/keel/sternpost. What other uses do you use it for and is it an effective tool? Or would a larger detail type sander also work? Thanks for any help…..

I have the pen-sander from Proxxon and also use it for such situations like you described.
But I am not using the sanding pats any more because they are too expensive - I take double sided adhesive tape plus sand paper cut to the correct size

But I have to say, that I have several adapter, because I use only Proxxon drilling tools, so no additional costs - but take a look at the used market for such adapters f.e. on ebay......

I have the pen sander and adapter also and find it very useful and efficient. I buy 5” disc-sander discs with the sticky back. I then cut my pads to size from them with either a knife/scissors or one of those small cutting tools that can scribe a circle. As Uwe says, the Proxxon pads on the small sheets are expensive.

Thanks guys, looking into getting one….. trying to find a rotary tool 50/EF and transformer used, and then get the sander…

I thought the toothbrush mod is a circular motion? That would mar the wood against the grain and leave sanding marks wouldn’t it? I know doing it manually is getting old fast!

The Proxxon pen sander is a vibrating action like a toothbrush.
No sanding marks with the fine grit paper as 120 grit is the most coarse Proxxon sells (unless you make your own pads )

Oh, I thought electric toothbrush had a rotary motion, I knew the Proxxon was a vibrating unit, if the toothbrush is also I may try that before investing in the Proxxon

Cannot speak with certainty regarding the difference between the motion of the electric toothbrush and Proxxon , but have seen other model builders using the modified toothbrush method. And its a much cheaper option.

Solo me preguntaba si alguien está usando la lijadora y si es una buena herramienta. Dado que requiere un adaptador de voltaje, es bastante costoso: estoy buscando algo para lijar esa área de tablones justo al lado de la proa y el codaste, esa área donde necesita algo para lijar con el recorrido de los tablones pero está justo en contra la proa/quilla/poste de popa. ¿Para qué otros usos lo usa y es una herramienta efectiva? ¿O también funcionaría una lijadora de detalles más grande? Gracias por cualquier ayuda…..
Yo tengo una lijadora Proxon de lápiz. Tiene muy mal rendimiento y lija bastante mal. No aconsejo comprarla.

I have a Proxon pencil sander. It has very poor performance and sands quite poorly. I do not advise buying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the most used electric tools in my shop. I use it almost everyday. You Can use any sanding pad that has a sticky back. I usually buy hand sander pads and cut to suit. If you are finding it is not productive it is because the pad you have on is probably wore. Because of the small size of the pad they tend to wear quickly. Buy the tool with your eyes closed.

I believe there is a 120v version on one of the model selling sites such as model-expo or one of the others.

Micro-Mark sells a reciprocating sander with eight different heads. It's smaller than the Proxxon and needs no adapter. the heads are about a half inch and come as square, triangle, circular and rounded rectangular shapes. Each shape comes in two configurations: straight and curved. It comes with sixty sanding pads. Cost is $80 on their latest catalog. I'm very happy with mine.

Hmmm, decisions…. They are both about the same money, but the Proxxon gives you the option of using the transformer for a rotary tool also…thanks for the suggestions everyone, i appreciate it!

I have the tool too and agree with Juan Maria Riera. I tink it is require to change the pad with home made one to be sufficiently efficient. But still love my Dremel drum sander and hand sanding with block or even sometime files.

I have a spare Proxxon pen sander if anyone needs it. It's unused and was ordered twice by accident. The DC adapter sure was expensive! $10.00 plus shipping and it's yours. It's best sold to someone in the USA because I already paid the shipping to get it here. I'm not selling the DC adapter because I need it to run the other Proxxon sander. I tried that pen sander once already and am not impressed. It won't remove much material, so it's best used as a finish sander in tight corners, not as a shaping tool.

I invested in the Micro-Make system by MicroMark. There are a variety of tools associated with the system and I have been satisfied with each one. The system has a tool called the “Powered Sander/Filer” which works very well sanding in the locations described above…close in to edges. The sander has several different sanding head shapes. So I would add an unsolicited recommendation to review the Micro-Make system as an alternative to Proxxon. The system also requires a transformer into which each tool is plugged in. For me the various sanders are my favorites as I get impatient with hand sanding! :)

The angled grinder is used 5 times a day. Best or most used electric tool i ever purchased. The flat sander never worked properly and is junk, the belt sander is also a big disappointment. I have thought of purchasing the power plane but never got a good review. There are also interchangeable parts which is good and i have had to order many replacement parts and they are always in stock.

Attachments

• 4BB6AE26-92B9-4ABE-A4A9-5E68F71D2D68.jpeg
    4BB6AE26-92B9-4ABE-A4A9-5E68F71D2D68.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 20
  • FA461DB3-7354-4EBE-AF01-26CE1807A954.jpeg
    FA461DB3-7354-4EBE-AF01-26CE1807A954.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 20
The PROXXON pen-sander is one of my oldest (ie. bought the earliest) tools and the one I am using most often. I could 'not live without it'.
János

Back