Proxxon Pensander

• Thread starter Aussie048
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
A

Aussie048

I was shown a Proxxon Pensander a while back and was told it was a great little tool and was told I should get one. So I did

As Proxxon Pensander is only 12v there are 2 options for the power supply a variable speed and a non variable speed and was advised to get the variable speed adapter.

There are about 8 different shapes for the head of the Pensander
I found that the sanding pads were a bit expensive so I went down to office woks and bought some double sided tap. A sheet of sand paper is pretty cheap and I can make up what ever grit I want. I also found that the sand paper lasted longer than the Proxxon premade sheets.

Here is a linkk to an Australian online store.

https://www.hobbytools.com.au/proxxon-pensander-ps-13-12v-dc-with-ng-2-e-variable-speed-adaptor/Proxxon Pen sander.jpg

Gemma
Not lazy but smart.

Would a tradie who had to cut 100 4 by 2's do that with a hand saw.

You need the right tool for the right job

The great thing about the tool it can get into places where it is difficult to do by hand sanding

The double sided tape that I purchase is foam based where the proxxon sand paper stick directly to the head. With foam based double sided tape I think it should take off high points first.

Zoltan
You will not be disappointed

Cheers
Geoff

Thsnks Geoff,do I have to buy thr Micromot transformer to make it work? Somehow I missed that the adapter is not included with the pensender.

Yes you need a poer adapter

Have a look at this web page and it has the three options. You can use the power adapter on other Proxxon tools like the foam cutter.
https://www.hobbytools.com.au/brands/Proxxon.html?page=3&sort=featured

Just the PS13

The PS 13 with Variable speed

The ps 13 with 2 amp adapter.

I bought the Proxxon Pensander PS 13 (12V DC) - with NG 2/E (Variable Speed Adapter).

As the power adapter comes in a separate box you should be able to buy it separate.

I was a little confused so I rang Hobby Tools Australia where the service and friendly advice is excellent. As you can see there is only$6 difference between the 2 power adapters

Might pay for you to ring or email the company you bought the pensander off and check on your order details.

Variable speed will give you more control.

Cheers
Geoff

Aussie048 said:
Gemma
Not lazy but smart.

Would a tradie who had to cut 100 4 by 2's do that with a hand saw.

You need the right tool for the right job

The great thing about the tool it can get into places where it is difficult to do by hand sanding

The double sided tape that I purchase is foam based where the proxxon sand paper stick directly to the head. With foam based double sided tape I think it should take off high points first.

Zoltan
You will not be disappointed

Cheers
Geoff

Just teasing Geoff, I will take a look at these, they look really handy. I like your advice with the double sided tape too, as I have dozens of sheets of different abrasive papers, so would be good to use them with the tool. ;-)

Gemma

When I bought mine I spoke to the owner of the online store and he said you have greater control to be able to vary the speed. That made sense to me.

I tws never about the price difference which is only $6.90AU which marginal. I have just realized that I did not post the link to Zoltan so have done so but here it is the link again even though you are in the UK. I find it a good site to visit as all he deals with is hobby tools

https://www.hobbytools.com.au/brands/Proxxon.html?page=3&sort=featured

As for the double sided tape you might be best to buy a small roll. I bought some squares never thinking of a roll.

Also shop around. It is easy these days with the web

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff,the variable speed adapter is running off 230V and unfortunately I don't have acces to that from my shop,only the laundry dryer or the kitchen stove has accses to 230V.

Zoltan

Are you talking about the link I posted. Australia is 230V. I presume you are on 110V. Do Proxxon make a 110V variable speed adapter.

I posted that link as the options you could by the Pensander in. Option 1 was I have a power adapter already, Option 2 was Variable Speed, Option 3 Non Variable Speed. The power adapters are used on a few other Proxxon tools so that is why they give you a choice of how you want to purchase it.

Surf the web and see if you can find the option you need for the mains voltage you have in your shop.

Please lets us know how you get on

Good luck

Cheers
Geoff

Zoltan, is this the one you would want?

110-120V

http://www.proxxon.com/us/micromot/38704.php?list

Thanks Gemma ,I found this already ,but this one is more expensive $112 canadian,the non variable speed adapter is $62.I will decide later.

Zoltan

I found this on the English Proxxon website and there is no mention of 110V for the MICROMOT mains adapter NG 2/E

Where for the Non Variable speed MICROMOT mains adapter NG 2/S there is a mention of 110V

http://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28707.php?list

I suggest you contact Proxxon. Under the US site there is a Tab "Customer Service" then "Contact Us" and ask them whether the "MICROMOT mains adapter NG 2/E" comes in a 110v setup. Also ask them what all your power controller options are for the PS 13 Pensander.

I have a feeling that they don't make a NG 2/S in 110v burt hope I am wrong

Good Luck

Cheers
Geoff

Zoltan/Gemma

Another thought about the 5A up against a 2A power adapter is a question that must be asked and that is am I going to buy other tools that require the 5A power adapter?

Have a look through the Proxxon catalog and see if it is likely. If the answer is yes then get the 5A power adapter. It will save you money in the long run

The other thing I was thinking about is the direction Proxxon might be taking. There is a 110v and there is a 230v 5a power adapter and if Proxxon can make more of there tools 12v 5a they only have to make one tool instead of 2 tools. As technologies improve more and more tools will probably go the direction of 12v with Proxxon

As I have only the 2a Power adapter if I buy more Proxxon tools I might be the loser having to buy a 5a adapter

Cheers
Geoff

Thanks Geoff that is a great tip, the tools look very good so I could easily buy more, will look into the 5A version.

Proxxon are also going down Lithium-ion battery power on some of there tools.

Does this mean Zoltan that you are now looking at the 5A power Adapter. The way I understand the amperage is the device only requires 1 amp to run then that is all it draws from the power controller.

Cheers
Geoff

Disclaimer: I am no way connected with any companies mentioned in my posts, and had purchase the Pensander after being told how good a tool it was. I like it very handy and hope that other Model Ship Builders enjoy the use of it as much as I have

Hi Lawrence

As you are on 110v in Canada you have 3 options.

Option1 is just the Pensander if you already have a Proxxon Power Controller. As per Zoltans post just above.

Option 2 is Option 1 plus a 2amp 110v Non Variable speed Controller.
http://www.proxxon.com/us/micromot/38706.php

Option 2 is Option 1 plus a 5amp 110v Variable speed Controller. This option allows you to connect some other Proxxon 12v tools
http://www.proxxon.com/us/micromot/38704.php?list

It appears Proxxon does not make a 110v 2 amp Variable speed Controller.

As I am in Australia where they make a 240v 2 amp Variable speed controller. This is the option I have, but I did not know about the 5 Amp option in Australia at the time. As I have most of the power tools I need it probably does not matter only having the 2 Amp Variable speed Controller.

I found that the sanding pads were a bit expensive so I went down to officewoks and bought some double sided tap. A sheet of sand paper is pretty cheap and I can make up what ever grit I want. I also found that the sand paper lasted longer than the Proxxon premade sheets.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff
Yes, the little Proxxon Pen Sander sure looks like a very interesting and handy little tool that sure would be handy in any one's old shipyard and that is for sure. The only problem is they are very pricey, $62.64 for the sander and another $90.09 for the variable speed control in Canadian dollars for a total of $157.73 Canadian dollars, being retired I will have to think on this one for a while. All of the dealers over here are at a set price, may do a bit more searching to find one of these on sale,I did try to buy a Proxxon vice from the USA and found their postal rates to be a killer and the was able to buy it trough Amazon.ca for a much better price, ENJOY.

Regards Canoe21 { Lawrence }

Back