Question about ship modeling from scratch

The journey that most of us have taken sounds very familiar. I too began with plastic kits as a boy and eventually developed to my first and only wooden sailing ship kit when I was in the Navy at 19, something to do during my off watch times. Once completed I figured I could do better from scratch and never looked back. I read a lot from library books, then began collecting my own library on the subject and developed my own ways of building models. One of the most influential books I read was "Modelling The Brig of War Irene" by E.W. Petrejus, which was my bible until Bernard Frolich's wonderful book, "The Art of Ship Modelling" came along. These two books have had the most influence in my work and little by little I have improved my skills to the present level. Ship modelling has been a great passion for me over the years, especially since I swallowed the anchor. As I can no longer go to sea, I bring the sea to me through the ships I build and carve. The age of the internet has opened a whole world to me as I get to see, finally, what others are doing and how. Working alone in the back woods of New Brunswick here in Canada, there aren't any other modeller's around to learn from, so I learn from you folks here on the forum.

Bob
Hi Bob,
We all seem to take similar routes to where we are now! My copy of E.W.Petrojus is falling apart from use, and Bernard Frolich's book is heading the same way!

Ted

Back