Question: types of wood

might this be what your looking for

Surely you have already talked about it, but I couldn't find the thread.
I would like to have the list of woods you recommend for the various components of the ships
TKS
Some of us prefer to use only certain wood species while building the models such as Pearwood, Boxwood or Castello, and Ebony. I called them a Magnificent Trio. All three types of wood are fine-grained and in various combinations, under the Oil finish will give this Magnificent results.
Others will use other types of wood. Frankly, different parts of the ship may require different types of wood, not just from an aesthetic point of view, but also their physical properties. For example, in the double-plank construction hull method, for the first layer, you would use thicker planks and they don't have to be nice looking because they will be covered with another layer of 'nice-looking' planks. I would choose timber with flex properties like basswood or limewood. However, I would select Pearwood, Walnut, or Maple, Definitely a nice-looking wood with fine grain for the second layer of planking.
Oftentimes, members use the type of wood that gives a natural look because of their inability to paint (I would be one of them). ;) A good example would be Holy wood, it is very fine in grain and perfectly white.

As a rule, the finer grain the timber has, the more likely it is suitable for our hobby. The limits are geographical location availability in your country, and price (some of them could be very rare and expensive)

and Ebony.
Ebony is beautiful and looks fantastic. But, it can be difficult to bend. Fortunately if used for the wales, there is virtually no edge bending but it is still a tough task. Also, the saw dust can be very irritating, especially if used on a disk or belt sander without a vacuum hooked up to it, as the dust is super fine. As with any disk or belt sanding, a filter mask is really important.

Allan

Ebony is beautiful and looks fantastic. But, it can be difficult to bend. Fortunately if used for the wales, there is virtually no edge bending but it is still a tough task. Also, the saw dust can be very irritating, especially if used on a disk or belt sander without a vacuum hooked up to it, as the dust is super fine. As with any disk or belt sanding, a filter mask is really important.

Allan
Ebony can be substituted with 'Black Hornbeam', it is specially processed (vacuumed) similar to 'Rose' Pearwood or Swiss Pear.

I was unable to express my question better with the translation from Italian.
Let me give you an example: what wood is best to use for the first planking? .. Next, what should be used for the second planking

I was unable to express my question better with the translation from Italian.
Let me give you an example: what wood is best to use for the first planking? .. Next, what should be used for the second planking
Ad esempio, nel metodo di costruzione dello scafo a doppia tavola, per il primo strato, utilizzeresti tavole più spesse e non devono essere belle perché saranno coperte con un altro strato di tavole "belle". Sceglierei legname con proprietà flessibili come il tiglio o il tiglio. Tuttavia, selezionerei pero, noce o acero, sicuramente un legno di bell'aspetto con grana fine per il secondo strato di fasciame.

Ad esempio, nel metodo di costruzione dello scafo a doppia tavola, per il primo strato, utilizzeresti tavole più spesse e non devono essere belle perché saranno coperte con un altro strato di tavole "belle". Sceglierei legname con proprietà flessibili come il tiglio o il tiglio. Tuttavia, selezionerei pero, noce o acero, sicuramente un legno di bell'aspetto con grana fine per il secondo strato di fasciame.
Grazie... risposta perfetta.

For a model we are more interested in look rather than any perceived strength of the type wood. I call this sculpting with wood. Use the wood type that adds to the beauty of the build for the various sections. Sculp your model in wood!

Back