question

Hello, I need help and information about the masts of Christopher Columbus' ships.
Specifically about whether they had ladders in the shrouds and what their dead eyes were like.

Hi. I see it has been a while since your original post, but I have similar questions about Columbus' ships. I decided to build the Heller Nina after not having built a sailing ship for many years. I was wondering if the ships used by Columbus even used deadeyes. More generally, when did ships begin using deadeyes?

Also, the anchors in the Heller Nina look like something that came off of a large 18th century ship. I don't know what anchors looked like in Columbus' day, but I have a feeling they don't look like what came in the box with the kit.

And when did the practice of coating standing rigging with tar begin?

Perhaps some more knowledgeable about these these can supply some answers.

I consulted The Ships of Christopher Columbus by Franco Gay and Cesare Ciano, which seems to be an authoritative volume published by the Italian Ministry of Cultural and Environmental Assets. The authors say that the main shrouds may have been fitted with ratlines, perhaps between only one pair of shrouds, but they favor the theory that there was a rope ladder (biscayn) against the mast that extended to the crow's nest. In regard to tensioning the shrouds, there is also conflicting information. The authors say there are three systems feasible for a vessel of the period: blocks, deadeyes, and hearts. I've attached an illustration from the book, but note that the labeling is incorrect: numbers 2 and 3 should be switched. Have fun!

deadeyes.jpg

Andy, thanks for your reply. That tells me exactly what I need to know. I also am glad to learn about the book that you referenced. I'll look for a source for that book.
Jimmy

Back