Questions about frame construction

I received my kit last week and am about to start assembly of my first frame. I have read through the build logs, thank you everyone who has posted their progress and techniques. However, this being my first POF build, I am still a bit confused about how the frames are to be assembled.

It appears that the "front" and the "rear" of each frame are "offset" when glued together, so as to allow for the bevels that are needed. I understand how to line up the pieces of the front and rear on the paper templates so as to create each half of the frame, but I am having trouble understanding how to determine how much the two halves are offset when they are glued together.

Is the offset determined by using the paper templates? Or is it determined by lining up the notches in the frame halves? Or do I use the bevel lines to determine the offset?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Tom

can you show a picture?

when sistered frames are assembled there is no offset. the bevels are cut into the frame.

Thanks Dave, I can take some pictures later on as I am at work, but the offset I referred to is discussed by Don Robinson in Post #26 of his build log, link is here, with pictures:

oh ok i see what you are talking about
actually that is a good idea to offset the the parts, only concern is not to offset the parts to far apart or else you will get a hollow where the two parts meet. but i can see how that would work.

usually a kit is designed where both halves fit together and line up on the outer edge. i do not know if the blue nose kit is designed with that offset in mind.

Hello Tom,
I borrowed this photo from Dean's @Dean62 build-log:
He made 2 little blocks to put between the notches:
1616094255046.jpeg
I do it the same.
Then you can line up both halfs. And check it for sure with the paper drawing.
Also form Dean @Dean62 :
1616094665913.jpeg
The inside bow is mostly for both parts the same.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Excellent Peter, thank you.

Just so that I understand how the two halves go together, am I correct then that the notch for the keel on the front and the notch for the keel on the rear frame section should line up precisely ?

I know that sounds obvious, but when I lined up the notches on the first frame I built, there was no "offset" as Don described in his Post above which is what confused me.

Thank you for your help.

Tom

Excellent Peter, thank you.

Just so that I understand how the two halves go together, am I correct then that the notch for the keel on the front and the notch for the keel on the rear frame section should line up precisely ?

I know that sounds obvious, but when I lined up the notches on the first frame I built, there was no "offset" as Don described in his Post above which is what confused me.

Thank you for your help.

Tom
As a Dutch, I am not familiair with the term ‘offset’. I have to look after and study.
Dean @Dean62 has going all the stages and can perhaps help you?
Regards, Peter

If you look at the photos that Don Robinson poste din his build log that I attached above as a link, you will see that the rear half of the frame does not line up with the front half, the sides are not even, one "overlaps" the other. That is what I am referring to as the offset.

Most likely I am simply not understanding how these pieces fit together and am confused about what I read in the build logs.

If you line up the notches and align the top of the two half’s flush you will be ok- some frames are virtually equal with no offset depending on how close to the middle of the hull you are - the most extreme beveling will be at the bow and stern framesC43C3A71-B797-4B8A-B86D-06B038B7A4A7.jpeg

@TV101 Hello Tom. You are correct - on some of the frames there is an overlapping on the sides and on some it looks like the one frame is "lower" or "higher" than its sister. That is totally irrelevant and - as everyone has said - is to allow for the beveling. If you make sure that the two notches are perfectly aligned (like in @Dean62 Dean's pictures), the frames will be correct.

Thank you everyone who replied. I didnt want to start out on the wrong foot so figured it was better to ask, sorry if my question seemed a bit obvious.

Thank you everyone who replied. I didnt want to start out on the wrong foot so figured it was better to ask, sorry if my question seemed a bit obvious.
Nope, not at all, I asked two Bluenose builders myself (via PM) before I committed the glue.... that’s exactly what this forum is all about, helping each other out and passing on what we learn....

@TV101 The only "obvious" question is the one not asked. Please do not hesitate to ask as much as you need to here. This is a great Group Build and you have some of the best builders on SOS present here.

Aha, a lot of answers in a short moment. In that time I made this drawing. With frame 10 as a example. Maybe the colors makes it better to understand:
Frames10-1.jpg

With the frame on the drawing, just a little besides the lines to show them:
Frames10-2.jpg

And in "3D":
Frames10-3.jpg

Hope you will fit them with all our help. I fully agree with Heinrich about the "not asked question" :)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back