Railing Balusters Help

Is their a consistent way in making balusters for ship railings? The balusters I’m making are anywhere from 7mm-15mm In height and 2mmx3mm wide.
The problem is I have been sitting them by hand with a razor saw and although they are decent, the cuts can be off a bit and the ends slightly angled. Even sanding by hand is hit or miss.
Obviously trying to glue an uneven baluster is problematic. Is their a method or tool that can help get the ends square?

The parts size that small, most likely good candidates for casting from resin. Made a good model out of wood or even brass (if you have a metal lathe). Make a mold and... here you go.

Alternatively, you can make a cutting tool in the shape of your baluster and turn on the wooden lathe. The tool can be made from an old\dull Axacto flat chisel. Below is the photo of the tool made by Sergey nick @bibigon He made this tool for the ship's wheel parts

file(2).jpg

file(3).jpg
file(6).jpg

file(7).jpg

file(8).jpg

You need a modeling miter box and a razor saw. MicroMark has them.

View attachment 238487
Unfortunately if you use the tool above you will get a frayed (afraid!) Or jagged cut end. Try this method... Place the balluster in a tube (brass, aluminium) inside diametre slightly larger than the baluster itself, set the length by blocking with a small piece of milliput (or similar) and exposing the final length (of course allowing the milliput to dry !). Finally roll the balluster whilst cutting with a cut off (olfa style) blade for a nice smooth end. Ill make a crude drawing if this method doesnt make sense . Happy Modelling ! Malcolm Armour.
Finish off end with fine wet and dry sandpaper.

There are a lot of good options provided in this post. I must admit that in my experience I have not had a fraying or jagged edge problem using a fine tooth razor saw. It is possible depending on the type wood being cut. I use a razor saw and miter box combo a lot for similar needs (I am wearing out my miter box…need to get a new one)…especially cutting dowels for various parts. Anyway, just suggesting it may be worth a try for very little investment.

Last edited:
I'd use "The Chopper" from Northwest Short Line-
It's easy to set up for repeatable cuts. A little double stick tape under the cutting area can keep pieces from flying away.

I would make them with some additional meat in the length and sand it to the correct length with the use of my disksander - here you can lay it against the fence in the correct rectangle angle of 90°

Back