Rainbow ,Endeavour, Shamrock from Amati kits

A picture of the Britannia regatta yacht, from a Mamoli kit, previously shown in its completed state as a diorama snuck in there too. the Shamrock V pics chronicle the process typical in building these 1:80 scale Amati J class sloop kits. The ones, produced later, like Shamrock V shown in progress, come with very nice resin hulls that require very little work save cutting away a very slight sheer, which I do very carefully ,creeping upon it on the drum end of my belt sander. The deck and other wooden parts, like the pieces to assemble the deck furniture are very nicely laser cut from birch ply. The Rainbow and Endeavour1, both being a little earlier production kits, came with roughed out wood hulls that required a lot of work. The Endeavour hull came with a slightly curved bow, which, I found out later, should have been sharp, like Rainbow's. Oh well, live and learn. :rolleyes:
Preparing the masts (which come with a precisely cut slot for the main sail) require some very precise drilling for the spreaders and holes for the halyards. For this I use a modified Dremel drill press with an X-Y table and miniature machinist's vice from Micro Mark. Very fussy and fiddley. The fittings supplied are all very nice. The plans and manual are all very well laid out and easy to follow, with a very clear and easy to follow sheet of instructions in English. I plan to build some more in the series, and although I have begun modifying the models ( as I am doing with Shamrock V, which is modified with the short bowsprit to conform with the English racing configuration rules) in order to follow some more advanced research. However, the models built they come out of the kit, are very attractive and satisfying. The sails I made from 50lb. acid free sketch paper as this is the best way I have found so far to make sails that hold a relatively wrinkle free, smooth air foil that takes and retains its shape. The seams are penciled in. I'll have a pictured description of the process in a subsequent build log of the boats to come. I like building the defenders and their challengers together, although from here on out they'll have their own discreet cases. The one to display the challenger and defender together was a bit ambitious, and nearly as big as a refrigerator!:oops:
The case is figured maple with walnut legs and molding in kind of a 1930's Art Deco style to reflect the historic period of the boats.

Happy modelling, Pete:cool:

PS, I got the kits from Ages of Sail And E bay

Last edited:
It was all about the speed .Big triangular sails form great airfoils.
Low resistance surface area below. Really fast monohulls. The penultimate cutting edge mid century modern design.

Beautiful!
I've been trying for years to find details on Endeavor's "Park Avenue " boom rigging arrangements - the multiple small transverse tracks used to shape the foot of the sail. It has stalled the building of my Artesiana Latina kit of this boat. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Its amazing the amount of sail area to the hull length and width. They were racers!!! Well done.
The J's were over 40 meters long and form stability (essential to the righting moment) dimensional espression is: l⁴... ;)

Last edited:
ilanortho,
Get a copy of "Enterprise to Endeavour" The J-Class Yachts" by Ian Dear, Dodd, Mead & Co. New York, 1977
page 66 photo, caption "Enterprise's Park Avenue boom" ...Followed by a long detailed description of a very clear picture.

Hope this helps, Pete :)

ilanortho,
Get a copy of "Enterprise to Endeavour" The J-Class Yachts" by Ian Dear, Dodd, Mead & Co. New York, 1977
page 66 photo, caption "Enterprise's Park Avenue boom" ...Followed by a long detailed description of a very clear picture.

Hope this helps, Pete :)
I have this book!
I will check it out again. I last looked at it a few years ago and believe that was why I bought it.
Thanks for taking the time to remind me.

Back