RALEIGH by Harold Hahn

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Sponsor: dlumberyard
Staff member
Sponsor

To start this off Robert Bruckshaw was building models for the Smithsonian and when Harold Hahn got serious about ship modeling he made contact with Robert and they became long time friends and Robert taught Harold everything he knew about ship building.
Here is the original Bruckshaw model of the Raleigh in the Smithsonian model collection. Notice there are no stern carvings.

raleigh1.jpgraleigh2.jpgraleigh3.jpgraleigh4.jpgraleigh5.jpgraleigh6.jpg

Nice!! I find it very interesting that in addition to adding carvings and figures, Harold also did a full rig on an admiralty style model. Typically we don't see that sort of thing.

Nice!! I find it very interesting that in addition to adding carvings and figures, Harold also did a full rig on an admiralty style model. Typically we don't see that sort of thing.

Bruckshaw was a model builder for the Smithsonian and built models his way, you can see by the admiralty style of framing in his model. Hahn based his Raleigh in Bruckshaw's work but added to it. Hahn's idea was to create plans and a model for the model builders.

I made a model of Raleigh for a New Hampshire gentleman last year and depended heavily on the Harold Hahn articles in the NRJ 41: 1-4, 1996. I had the opportunity to chronicle my own experience in NRJ 64, No. 4, 2019. This was for a 10 liter lab bottle, with a scale close to 3/64" = 1IMG_7471.JPGIMG_7768.JPGIMG_7768.JPGIMG_7853.JPGIMG_7829.JPG

There are a number of ways, but this was done in one of the most common, making the model collapsible so it can be drawn up by the rigging. This is usually what folks think when the say, "You just pull the thread, right?" This is a recent model of Mayflower ready for her bottle with the controlling threads, In this case there were about 30. In Raleigh's, I think it was about 45.IMG_8832.JPG

Back