Ratline why question

I know that most "why" questions are fruitless but here goes. Doing the ratlines and Lees says the early ships had every sixth ratline go to the aftmost shroud. Then in 1773 they changed to the bottom and top six ratlines only went to the second and second to last shrouds. There was another change in between those dates. Anyone have even a wild guess as to why they would change this? Since the ratlines were just for climbing on you'd think they would go front to back on every shroud. Not an important question but every time I have to skip a shroud I wonder, "Why would they do that?"

Don, I think when you typed your question you prepared yourself with reasonable expectations. :) I, too would like to know the answer to this question and perhaps someone will come back with the answer and we will all be more knowledgeable for it. Sometimes answers are elusive and this one may even challenge the well versed members of SoS.

That's definitely a possibility but then try to explain changing from every sixth to the top and bottom six missing.

I have a book that explains this, but, alas & alack, I can't remember which book, so I'll have to go through everything I have to dig it back up! Now where did I put that thing?
Rick1011

Please describe which ships, from which country you speaking of. I do not have 'Lees"
"The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860". James Lees. A very good book. Sometimes a little difficult to find what you're after but all these modelling books seem to be like that. You have to know stuff before you can find stuff. :) :)

A wild guess
Could it be an aid to counting, by feel, progress up the shrouds in the pitch dark? To avoid banging your head on the crow's nest.

"The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860". James Lees. A very good book. Sometimes a little difficult to find what you're after but all these modelling books seem to be like that. You have to know stuff before you can find stuff. :) :)
Thanks for the info, but my focus is on Spanish Galleons 1500 - 1850.

Back