ratlines - colour

Are ratlines tarred? I tried tan cord but it didn't stand out and sort of disappeared. I can't imagine they would be tarred since in hot climes the sailor's feet would make a mess on the deck. Johnl

Good question. Shrouds are tared black for sure. I am not sure of ratlines even though they are a standing rigging and by definition might be back. Climbing up and down on the ratlines if they are tared would be difficult. So let us wait for someone with better knowledge of the subject.

This is a discussion, which often is made under modelers, therefore I give here my two private subjective cents

ratlines are part of standing rigging, but can easily replaced by the seamen when damaged or .....
Like @Y.T. already mentioned it would be partly dangerous and dirty when they would be tared -
In my opinion ratlines should be not black

P4060743.JPG

up-the-mast-p10108091.jpeg

Thank you both for your reply. As I understand things from what I have read, lines for old ships were made initially with some tar as part of the fabrication process. Whether they were running or standing rigging. Later, the standing rigging was coated with tar. So, Y.T. and Uwek, with your personal models, do you use black for ratlines?

Are ratlines tarred? I tried tan cord but it didn't stand out and sort of disappeared. I can't imagine they would be tarred since in hot climes the sailor's feet would make a mess on the deck. Johnl
No, they are not tarred though there is a tar content in the lines. Victory has natural ratlines, the Surprise at San Diego has black!! Your chosen colour is a matter of preference. Split the difference? A plain hemp line can look fairly dark. I think the important thing is to make sure it doesn't appear too 'white' in photos of your build, a realistic dirty grey brown would look better.

I use light tan for ratlines, & I've read they were not tarred, although shroud lines were.
Rick1011

No, they are not tarred though there is a tar content in the lines. Victory has natural ratlines, the Surprise at San Diego has black!! Your chosen colour is a matter of preference. Split the difference? A plain hemp line can look fairly dark. I think the important thing is to make sure it doesn't appear too 'white' in photos of your build, a realistic dirty grey brown would look better.
Thanks Bob, I like the idea of dirty grey Johnl

I tried light colored ratlines and they just didn't show up well unless they were against a dark backdrop. I changed to dark because of that. They still don't show up that well but it's better.

That's because the crews had dirty feet! ROTF
Not too sure about that mate? I can't imagine holystoning a deck every morning and then leaving mucky footprints over the deck without the captain getting a bit shirty!? On a royal navy ship anyway (American ships were pretty dirty compared to ours!!) (Takes cover, awaits incoming!)

Back