Cad design Reconstruction of a Dutch yacht

I want to tell you a little about my last job. This is the reconstruction of the yacht of the Russian Tsar Peter the 1st.
Little is known about the yacht itself. The yacht was built in Arkhangelsk by the Tsar's decree in the spring of 1693. The builders of the yacht were Dutch shipbuilders. Yacht length 17.28 m (56 ft), armament 12 3-pounder cannons.
Since no drawings survived, it was decided to make a typical Dutch yacht of suitable dimensions. The famous Statenjacht Utrecht was used as an example.

r4.jpg

About the sources that I used for the reconstruction of the yacht:
1. Werner Jaeger Die Niederländische Jacht im 17. Jahrhundert ( yacht design)
2. Schokkenbroek. KUNST OP HET WATER.Nederlandse scheepssier 1650-1850 ( yacht decor )
3. A. J. Hoving Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age ( General information about Dutch shipbuilding )
4. Archived drawings of Dutch yachts found on the internet
5. Photos of old models from museums

Since there was very little initial data, I decided to make a collective image of the Dutch yacht. After examining several pairs, I selected a suitable sample to obtain the typical shape of the hull of a Dutch yacht.

More recently, I found out that this is a yacht typical of the mid-18th century, and in the 17th century, the yachts looked a little different, but I did not know such details then, so I chose this option.

I will be happy to hear the comments of experts on this issue.

T181.jpg

The next step is to build the main theoretical surface of the hull . The surface is built along theoretical lines, then the surface is checked for conformity to the shape using control sections and for the smoothness of the hull contours using waterlines and buttocks. If necessary, shape correction is done.
Often, theoretical drawings that are stored in archives have paper deformation due to many years of storage, and this must be taken into account if "strange" places are obtained when constructing a surface.
Then the deck surfaces are built.

w1.jpgw2.jpgw3.jpgw4.jpgw5.jpg

I tried this same program but I was not able to accomplish this level of expertise. Excellent CAD work I must say. I wish I only had this skill.
I perform CAD at my professional office, but it is only 2D electronic plans.

A little about the model's decor. Since no precise information about the decor has been preserved, the decor is made mainly from the classic baroque elements of that time (the turn of the 17th-18th centuries). The figurehead is a classic lion holding a shield with the monogram of Peter 1st in its paws. On the taffrail in the center of the composition there is a cartouche with the monogram of Peter 1st, framed in trophies. In the aft side of board , the decor has a marine theme : Neptune, nymph, dolphin

dr0.jpg

dr1.jpg

dr2.jpg

dr3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to tell you a little about my last job. This is the reconstruction of the yacht of the Russian Tsar Peter the 1st.
Little is known about the yacht itself. The yacht was built in Arkhangelsk by the Tsar's decree in the spring of 1693. The builders of the yacht were Dutch shipbuilders. Yacht length 17.28 m (56 ft), armament 12 3-pounder cannons.
Since no drawings survived, it was decided to make a typical Dutch yacht of suitable dimensions. The famous Statenjacht Utrecht was used as an example.
Hallo @igorcap ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

С днем рождения коллега! Счастья , здоровья и творческих успехов!

When the hull project was almost completed, I received an addition to the order. I had to do the complete hull design to build the POF model. I have studied a lot of blueprints for Dutch yachts. Werner Jaeger's book Die Niederländische Jacht im 17. Jahrhundert was a great help. I found a very interesting layout of the elements of the front part of the hull in one of the old albums. I have applied this scheme in my project.
a1.jpga2.jpga3.jpga4.jpg2020-03-24_153839.png

Back