Removing carpenters glue

Pwh

I made a mistake while building the frame specifically the stern of the HMS Bounty from Sergal. I need to undo the glued parts. Looking on the web I found two choices. I can use acetone or undiluted vinegar to dissolve the glue. Do either substance damage the wood or is there a better technique?
Thanks

acetone or undiluted vinegar

i have had no issues with acetone i used it on wood vinegar will react to wood there is the ebonizing of wood using vinegar and steel wood to turn wood
black.

The key to the disassembly of glue joints is weakening the bond. For Titebond Original and Titebond II, raising the glue joint temperature with a heat gun or a blow dryer will reduce the glue's strength. Steam from an iron may also work for Titebond Original.

I have used isopropyl alcohol to good effect for PVA. I have a bottle of 70% and 99%. I gently soak the glued joint and wait a while. Then gently ease the joined area apart using more isopropyl alcohol if necessary. I do not use the 99% on areas that were painted with acrylics because it lifts the paint.

Just applying a water works perfect as well. Wet the glued connection all around and wait for 5 - 10 minutes. Reapply water if connection does not separate when applying gentle separation force. Water for certain will not change anything on the model parts.
Unless its Titebond II or Titebond III - II is water resistant, III is waterproof....if it has been allowed to dry.

Unless its Titebond II or Titebond III - II is water resistant, III is waterproof....if it has been allowed to dry.
Too bad you didn't share this a month ago. I learned the difference the hard way. I used gorilla pva (water resistant) - spot gluing on hawse timbers. No way one can unglue it. Tried IP, acetone - nothing worked. Had to start all over again.

Hmmmm. My "go to" favorite glue is plain old Elmer's Glue-All (not Elmer's School Glue). It is fairly easy to remove with water or alcohol and makes a very strong bond with wood. Of course, it should not be used if you plan on putting your model in the water! Several years ago at a Nautical Research Guild conference, Rob Napier discussed restoring an admiralty model in the U.S. Naval Academy Museum. It was completely deconstructed, cleaned (with saliva and lots of Q-tips!) and reassembled. Originally, the model was probably held together with hide glue. Someone asked, during the Q&A, what kind of glue did he used to put it back together. His reply, "Elmer's Glue-all." You could almost hear an audible gasp from the audience. Dead, stunned, silence.

Hmmmm. My "go to" favorite glue is plain old Elmer's Glue-All (not Elmer's School Glue). It is fairly easy to remove with water or alcohol and makes a very strong bond with wood. Of course, it should not be used if you plan on putting your model in the water! Several years ago at a Nautical Research Guild conference, Rob Napier discussed restoring an admiralty model in the U.S. Naval Academy Museum. It was completely deconstructed, cleaned (with saliva and lots of Q-tips!) and reassembled. Originally, the model was probably held together with hide glue. Someone asked, during the Q&A, what kind of glue did he used to put it back together. His reply, "Elmer's Glue-all." You could almost hear an audible gasp from the audience. Dead, stunned, silence.
Elmer's Glue All and School glues are very similar with only slight differences as to clean-up. Both are PVA. And PVA glues are excellent wood glues. I've used both with great success.

I have used straight vinegar to loosen white (Elmer's) glue on standing rigging that I had to re-do. Try Goof-Off for CA and Gorilla glue. Got it a Hobby Lobby. It does discolor the wood slightly due to its capillary action.
Outside of advertised washability, what is the difference between regular Elmer's and School Elmer's?

Verwenden Sie Wärme! Neben dem Modellbau bin ich auch Gitarrenbauer und repariere Instrumente. Mit Wärme und moderater Luftfeuchtigkeit können Sie jede Klebeverbindung mit Holz lösen, ohne Schaden anzurichten. Wickeln Sie den zu lösenden Bereich mit einem feuchten Tuch ein und erwärmen Sie den Bereich mit einer Heißluftpistole (Einstellung 1 - 300 Grad Celsius) mit einer Schwenkbewegung. Verwenden Sie BBC-Handschuhe - es wird sehr heiß! Schütteln Sie das zu lösende Bauteil immer wieder sanft mit Gefühl - es wird sich lösen! Dauert ca. 10 min.

Rob Napier has also said that he will never use CA glue. I’m not sure why he is so against it. I truly believe that if the builders of the Admiralty model had it available to them they would have used it. It definitely has a place in building ship models today.

Hi Dave. What type of wood and what glue don’t work together? What wood and glue were used on that model in the photo?

Hi Dave. What type of wood and what glue don’t work together? What wood and glue were used on that model in the photo?

the framing was in the family of what was being sold as Castillo Boxwood which is any number of woods the trade name is a catch all for different woods.

Farinha Seca, Guatambu, Guatambu Moroti, Guatambus Blanco, Ivorywood, Kyrandy, Marfim, Moroti, Pau Liso, Quatamba

The wales that let go were Peroba which again is a "family" of woods.

The glue was 5 minute Epoxy

Last edited:
it took a few years before the model fell apart a long, hot, humid summer caused the epoxy to break down and because the wood was very dense the glue did not get absorbed into the wood. The Peroba wales are not only dense but has a lot of resin oil.
At one time rough sanded (80) grit was considered not smooth enough for model work (120) grit finish was thought to be the best. The proble when you give hardwood a fine finish the harder it is to glue.

Rob Napier has also said that he will never use CA glue. I’m not sure why he is so against it. I truly believe that if the builders of the Admiralty model had it available to them they would have used it. It definitely has a place in building ship models today.

in some cases CA glues are the best choice as where water based glues will at some point fail.

I HAVE USED 100% NAIL POLISH REMOVER WITH ACOTON HAVE HAD GREAT SUCESS WITH BOTH PVA AND CA NO DAMAGE TO THE WOOD AT ALL JUST HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL AND PATIENT HAVE NOT TRIED IT ON ANY OTHER TYPE OF GLUE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

I made a mistake while building the frame specifically the stern of the HMS Bounty from Sergal. I need to undo the glued parts. Looking on the web I found two choices. I can use acetone or undiluted vinegar to dissolve the glue. Do either substance damage the wood or is there a better technique?
Thanks
hello, I seem to be having a problem with planking the stern of the sergal bounty. did you make a build log I could look at to see how its shaped thanks

Back