Replacing the long time backorder Rikon 10-3061 ?

Hi,

My Rikon 10" 10-3061 bandsaw is backorder since 1,5 month and will be another couple of weeks. I canceled the order and need a good budget replacement bandsaw. I have eyes on the King Canada KC-1002C wich is 10" but at lower, so I would like to know if this bandsaw is good enough for modelism, and medium homework and resaw at scale for 10 " ?

1589995597847.png
10" WOOD BANDSAW
  • 10" Wood bandsaw with stand
  • Quick release lever blade tension system
  • Adjustable upper/lower ball bearing blade guide system
  • Cast-iron tilting table with built-in retractable extension
  • Flexible LED light increases workpiece visibility
  • Rack & pinion height adjustment system
  • Dust chute accepts 2", 2-1/2" and 4" dust collector hoses
  • Comes complete with miter gauge, rip fence, adjustment wrench and hex. keys
    • CUTTING CAPACITY FRAME TO BLADE9-1/2"
    • MAXIMUM DEPTH OF CUT4-1/8"
    • TABLE SIZE13-3/8" x 13-1/8"
    • TABLE HEIGHT FROM FLOOR41-1/2"
    • BLADE SIZE67-1/2" x (1/8" - 1/2") x 0.025"
    • MOTOR1/2 HP
    • AMPERAGE3.4 Amp.
    • VOLTAGE120V, 1 phase, 60 Hz
    • SPEED2,750 SFPM
    • ASSEMBLED DIMENSIONS (LXWXH) / WEIGHT26" x 20" x 58-3/4" / 91 lbs
    • PACKAGE DIMENSIONS (LXWXH) / WEIGHT34-3/4" x 15-1/4" x 18-1/8" / 95 lb
Thanks for any advice. Other stuff is really out of budget, I do not want to pay 1 K$.

Michel

Hi,

My Rikon 10" 10-3061 bandsaw is backorder since 1,5 month and will be another couple of weeks. I canceled the order and need a good budget replacement bandsaw. I have eyes on the King Canada KC-1002C wich is 10" but at lower, so I would like to know if this bandsaw is good enough for modelism, and medium homework and resaw at scale for 10 " ?

View attachment 152508
10" WOOD BANDSAW
  • 10" Wood bandsaw with stand
  • Quick release lever blade tension system
  • Adjustable upper/lower ball bearing blade guide system
  • Cast-iron tilting table with built-in retractable extension
  • Flexible LED light increases workpiece visibility
  • Rack & pinion height adjustment system
  • Dust chute accepts 2", 2-1/2" and 4" dust collector hoses
  • Comes complete with miter gauge, rip fence, adjustment wrench and hex. keys
    • CUTTING CAPACITY FRAME TO BLADE9-1/2"
    • MAXIMUM DEPTH OF CUT4-1/8"
    • TABLE SIZE13-3/8" x 13-1/8"
    • TABLE HEIGHT FROM FLOOR41-1/2"
    • BLADE SIZE67-1/2" x (1/8" - 1/2") x 0.025"
    • MOTOR1/2 HP
    • AMPERAGE3.4 Amp.
    • VOLTAGE120V, 1 phase, 60 Hz
    • SPEED2,750 SFPM
    • ASSEMBLED DIMENSIONS (LXWXH) / WEIGHT26" x 20" x 58-3/4" / 91 lbs
    • PACKAGE DIMENSIONS (LXWXH) / WEIGHT34-3/4" x 15-1/4" x 18-1/8" / 95 lb
Thanks for any advice. Other stuff is really out of budget, I do not want to pay 1 K$.

Michel
Any well tuned band saw will do a good job. Just remember for modelling you will also require sanding (or planing) as no matter how good the bandsaw is tuned and how sharp the blade's teeth are you will always get saw marks on the cut pieces. I have a very cheap 10" bandsaw that I spent several hours tuning and now runs and cuts very well. There are a lot of Bandsaw tuning videos on Youtube- I recommend you take the time to tune the bandsaw properly straight out of the box to avoid frustrations later.
I've never re-sawn wood with the 10" as it has a permanent fine blade installed, I use my 14" bandsaw for that.
For really fine stuff I would also recommend a nice scroll saw that allows you to get much closer to the cut line and sanding can be much quicker.

Thanks it is appreciate. I purchased a WEN Scroll Saw (WEN 3921 16-Inch Two-Direction Variable Speed Scroll Saw ) with Olson blades (Pin end and plain end). I will received it in one week. I also purchased the Big Book of Scroll Saw Woodworking by Fox Chapel Publishing for the pleisure of exploring all the possibilities of my new tool.

I have also an eye on the King KC-1202FX wich is similar in price and concept as Rikon, but 12 " with 6 " resawing capacity.

Well, for the sanding, another expense to follow ?81gjVmnXawL._AC_SL1500_.jpg81GKYCLKo2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg81p-hAEiskL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For the sander, I made this one which is ideal for modelling (Building shop machines is my other hobby):
The narrow belt and small disc is good for detail work.

BTW: I also made this 14" bandsaw a few years back and has performed better than any store bought bandsaw I have ever owned.

(Edit) These are not my videos/websites/plans, they are plans I bought from John Heinz and Mattias Wandel.

Last edited:
Well, you have some skill that I do not have. Very impressive. I pass for the band saw, but may be I will have some temptation for the sander.

Thanks you

I have a 9 i. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Donnch table top performax bAND SAW FROM MENARDES $129.00 does everything i need it to do 6 inchtpi for resawinf 14 inch tpi for scroll cutting and strip cuting smootyh for the cost just what i need, just me, got a blade runnerX2 do not by this horrible you can not scroll cut anything, i will use this as a back up when nessary my DRMELL MTO SAW WORKS BETTER THEN THIS

WOW THINGS WERE REALLY SKIPPING AROUND THERE, IT HAPPENS IF I AM NOT CAREFUL THE POINTER SKIPS WITH OUT ME KNOWING IT HAVE TO BE MORE CAREFUL. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

If you are in the market for a band saw/scroll saw you need to check out the new Pegas Scroll Band Saw on YouTube. A bit pricey BUT it has amazing capabilities. It was also reviewed in Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts Summer 2019 issue.

Well, I rethink my project and purchased a Wen scroll saw, a king belt and disc sander and finaly a king 9" band saw that I Just finish to setup and niveled corectly. I followed Donfarr advises and taked time to setup all these Things, for the price of the Rikon.

Last edited:
Back