Retired in Tennessee; Been building scale model planes and boats for several years. Currently starting Sergal's Sovereign of the Seas 1637 (modified

Quickly realized that I would have to do substantial research before starting the build. Also want to modify the "plank on bulkhead" to become "plank on frame". There is where the biggest questions started as I started reviewing your web discussions. I tend to agree with a "tucked tail" approaching the keel area framing. Will also need to address the floor and futtock curvatures, and the "room and space" discrepancies. I suspect it will be awhile before starting the model, whilst the framing plans are drawn and finalized.

Quickly realized that I would have to do substantial research before starting the build. Also want to modify the "plank on bulkhead" to become "plank on frame". There is where the biggest questions started as I started reviewing your web discussions. I tend to agree with a "tucked tail" approaching the keel area framing. Will also need to address the floor and futtock curvatures, and the "room and space" discrepancies. I suspect it will be awhile before starting the model, whilst the framing plans are drawn and finalized.
As a fellow builder of HMS Sovereign of the Seas, welcome to SoS and boy, are YOU in for an adventure! Happy building!

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum,
would be great, if you can start a building log later on, so we can participate in your project

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Do understand the implication it will not be easy, and will be happy to create a builders log. I will probably start it as soon as I start drawing each of the frames and associated futtock sections, especially the tucked tail area of the boat. My current plan is to create a section of the hull between the two forward channels for the ratlines, that can hinge down to show the interior structure of the ship and light it with LEDs as Darivs has done.

I admire the ambition you have to take on such a project. First, it is quite. easy, in my opinion, to convert PoB to PoF if you don't want to display the innards and skeleton of the ship. You just use every 3rd or so frame to construct your bulkheads. To go the "other" way is only for the truly courageous, especially with a subject as SotS. I wish you success, but more than that, the joy of creating something as beautiful as SotS.

The futtocks are in their infancy. The research has already verified that the Sovereign of the Seas kit is not as it claims to be 1:78 scale. The keel that comes with the kit should be 127ft long with a stem sweep of 34ft-9in. This translates to 19.54in scale keel with 5.35in sweep = 24.88in total length. The kit is almost 2" longer. The room and space documented appears to be 29.5in with a frame of 14.75in and space of 14.75in.. According to McKay's SotS this would result in 59 full frames, and associated futtocks, from stem to stern; not including partial frames at each end.

Yikes! You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I'm already knocked out by your clearly evident knowledge of your subject and to the ambition and imagination you bring to it. I look forward to following your build and to the learning process it portends. Thumbs-Up
Welcome aboard!

Pete

Dear JBradford: I am in Oak Ridge. Suspect the city has grown substantially on you the last couple of years. We have now retired here in Oak Ridge and this model is one of my retirement projects. Also have a Dumas Chris Craft Typhoon racing boat that is RC capable. It will come after the Sovereign. May be awhile.

Yikes! You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I'm already knocked out by your clearly evident knowledge of your subject and to the ambition and imagination you bring to it. I look forward to following your build and to the learning process it portends. Thumbs-Up
Welcome aboard!

Pete

Back