Retired in Tennessee; Been building scale model planes and boats for several years. Currently starting Sergal's Sovereign of the Seas 1637 (modified

Dear Peter:
Don't let me fool you. But thank you for the complement. I am only showing how much I do not know. It is as if they used a scale of about 1:70 to do the model as all the dimensions I have checked on Sergal's bulkheads are larger. Went so far as to doubt myself and looked to see if the old English foot was different that the US foot. Should mention that I lived in the UK for 6 years, and bought the model from Cornwall Model boats. Will continue to research things until I at least get a consistent answer on dimensions then will proceed with the build. Either way I will build it with all the frames and mount them on the keel with a keelson so all interior timbering will also be to scale.

Dear Peter:
Don't let me fool you. But thank you for the complement. I am only showing how much I do not know. It is as if they used a scale of about 1:70 to do the model as all the dimensions I have checked on Sergal's bulkheads are larger. Went so far as to doubt myself and looked to see if the old English foot was different that the US foot. Should mention that I lived in the UK for 6 years, and bought the model from Cornwall Model boats. Will continue to research things until I at least get a consistent answer on dimensions then will proceed with the build. Either way I will build it with all the frames and mount them on the keel with a keelson so all interior timbering will also be to scale.
Clearly you are far more fastidious than I am with your attention to dimension and accuracy. My most regularly used measuring devices are my Thumbs-UpandAlien. Still my research to building ratio stands at about 2-3(or four) to one.
BTW Would you post some model boat AND aircraft model pictures? (You wouldn't be the first to have a model plane gliding amongst the boats. ;))
I am sure that I'm not the only one who'd love to see them!

Pete

Dear Peter:
Hi Douglas,

Welcome onboard from a fellow future SotS builder, currently working on my research to start a 1:48 full frame SotS somewhere in the coming 5-6 years.

The sergal kit is based on the Seppings model from the NMM which was based on the 1701 SotS and was a different ship as our SotS of 1637. So the Sergal dimensions are all different. Mc Kay's dimensions are closer to the poriginal ship, but also these show some differences with the by Phnineas Pett mentioned data in his autobiography.

The SotS is very interesting as there is a lot of data available but there is also a lot of data uncertain, so plenty room for your own interpretation.

Looking forward to your project.

Would love to build a larger version of the SotS model as you are looking at, but my fireplace mantle would not accommodate that significant upgrade. I would be great to build such a beautiful size to capture the details. Wish you all the best in your build. Thanks go out to Maarten for the reason of the discrepancies with Sergal's model. Will continue to verify as much as I can with other cross references before starting the build effort. Will dust off some pictures of the other scale models and post them soon.

Quickly realized that I would have to do substantial research before starting the build. Also want to modify the "plank on bulkhead" to become "plank on frame". There is where the biggest questions started as I started reviewing your web discussions. I tend to agree with a "tucked tail" approaching the keel area framing. Will also need to address the floor and futtock curvatures, and the "room and space" discrepancies. I suspect it will be awhile before starting the model, whilst the framing plans are drawn and finalized.
Hallo @DouglasJamieson
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi and welcome to the forum. Who doesn't like a Sovereign of the Seas? I remember first seeing an SotS when I was about 18 and they were hell expensive - about $1100. Not sure which brand, but that was way back in 1976. Relatively, they haven't really gone up that much compared to other things. An ambitious and worthy project Douglas. I look forward to watching the progress along with many others here I am sure. Cheers Davydd:)

Back