Revell 1/96 Connie, transom and glue for gun deck carriages

When the ship was in port with furled sails and ready to sail, would the studding sail booms have sails at departure, or were they put out after leaving port? The masts look a little barren so I plan on having furled sails on her.
The sails, once dry, were typically furled when not in use in port and even when at sea in high wind conditions not all sails were unfurled due to the danger of snapping a mast. When leaving port which sails were unfurled depended on the wind and tide conditions. Surly studding sails would not be rigged for such light maneuvering. A thorough description of handling the ships in various conditions can be found in David Steel's Elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship in the seamanship section, Volume II in the sub-section labeled The Practice of Working Ships starting on page 281. The entire book is available on line for free download at https://maritime.org/doc/steel/ Below is a Van de Velde drawing that might help.

Allan
1725874242695.png

Wrecked Connie? USS Constitution was never wrecked. She is currently on display in Boston. She serves on active duty as the flagship of the First Naval District. By the way, she was never called "Connie" but as "Constitution".

Bill
Guess you never read about a warship being destroyed by a giant cat

True enough. We have eight lakes and ponds in the immediate vicinity of my home as well as one river and the Atlantic Ocean. The fishing is great! And the U.S. Naval Submarine Base Groton, New London is very close by as well. I did three boats out of there in my career!

Bill
We were raised on a farm in Pennsylvania, had two creeks off the corn field with great trout fishing, and we thought our 12 foot Johnny was a BIG boat!

I used Gorilla Glue on the gun deck, and Elmers Carpenters glue on the spar deck. The Gorilla Glue does a better job>
My biggest boat was 560 feet. It was a Trident submarine . . .

Bill
Good grief! Could never serve in a sub! Dad was a career Navy carrier man, and could cuss like no one else we ever heard...everything in it's place and a place for everything..(imagine trying to lay that on 8 kids...a losing battle!).
We made corn whiskey, looked like clear water and one sip would make you sit down, our neighboring farmer was a shipmate, and those two could drink that "kick-a-poo" juice (that's what they called it) like it was a glass of water. Every Saturday evening they would get together with that juice and solve all the world's problems. Fortunately for the nation, they never ran for any office! And that was why I entered the Army.

Nice meeting you too... transplanted to New England, from a farm in Pennsylvania, where a 12 foot johnny boat was considered a "big" boat!
My daughter in law was visiting for Sunday roast beef dinner, and my son knew I was working on the Constitution, so he asked, "Dad, how's the ship coming?" I said, "Fine, I'm working on the spar deck now"
My D-I-L's draw dropped, and she said, "Dad, I didn't know you had a ship!" We had to enlighten her.

For anyone building Revell's Constitution or Cutty Sark, if you use Scale Decks or HIS decks, the Gorilla glue, as recommended by HIS, works better

Back