Rigging Glue

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Someone discussed rigging glue recently. Whoever had that info on rigging glue, I sure could use the info soon. pictures of the glue and where to buy it would be appreciated. Another question is the best way to apply it?

I appreciate any help on this.

Donnie

I have been using CA (cynoacrylate), but thought there was another alternative out there. Thanks Reggie, I will look into that one.

I like using Titebond II on areas that are not subject to stress and Titebond 3 for those that are or might be accidentally bumped. For rigging, there is a Tightbond translucent that dries clear. These are available at Home Depot or Lowes. I like the strength of their bonds and they are easy to clean up. Even after they have dried, glue spots are easy to clean using an exacto knife as a scraper. They do not discolor the wood like CA. For windows like on the cabin of my paddlewheeler, I like Tacky Glue.

I am trying to find an alternative that will not leave a gloss. Does the Titebond translucent leave a gloss?

None of the Titebond glues leave a gloss. Even Titebond 3, which is the strongest bonding one, is hard to notice. Incidently, I still use CA, but only in places that will not be subject to lateral stress. CA breaks down under this type of pressure.

Gary:

Have you found any of the Titebond glues you use to discolor or darken beige toned rigging? What is the dry time for the Titebond glues? I can always use an alternative glue to the CA and whitewood glues. I don't think there really is a "perfect" all-in-one glue.

I use Testors Dull Cote(in bottle) to remove the sheen on any glued or painted items. Works like a charm. Thanks.

Chris

The clear does not seem to but the others are wood glues. The clear does not seem to have a sheen to it but becomes tacky in a few seconds. Almost all glues require 24 hours for a complete cure. On wood, I found that Tightbond II and III will hold well enough to let go in a minute or two unless there is a there are some stress points. What I like is that it adheres in about the same time as super glue but you can let it dry for several minutes and come back and firmly press it to a final shape in the stress areas. It can be shifted slightly even after about twenty minutes, if need be. After that it is pretty strong. To remove glue traces on wood, it is easy to clean with a exacto by lightly scrapping. If you look at my currrent build "La Soleil Royal", you can see there is not a hint that glue was used to set the wood. Yet, it is strong enough that it is used in home construction and even comes in 5 gallon cans.

Back